What’s wrong with this guys head?

schambo

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Atlantic Canada
Roughly 4 week old barred rock chick. Is this just normal molting of fuzz as he feathers out? He looks like Beetlejuice 😕
IMG_0287.jpeg
IMG_0290.jpeg

Is he with others all the same age? His head looks like some of his feathers are getting pecked out by the black dots seen. They do look a bit funny when they are growing at this age. By 6 weeks most chickens are fully feathered. How large is their brooder? How many chicks?

Don’t think it’s a heat injury, and there’s no sign of other trauma. I use a brooder plate, not a lamp, and I have felt the plate - not even close to hot enough to burn.

There are 4 same-age chicks (hatch mates) in a 3 sq. ft. kennel in our coop. The big birds can’t really get much access to them.

He eats a standard, decent quality chick starter from the feed store.

I have seen a bit of evidence of a rat lurking (working on extermination), maybe he got narrowly missed by that?

Last edited:
Also, I think his feet are fine? Curled awkwardly from the way I’m holding him, and pink instead of yellow likely due to some lower quality breeding stock in his gene pool. What do you think you’re seeing, @Wyorp Rock and @Tookie?

Don’t think it’s a heat injury, and there’s no sign of other trauma. I use a brooder plate, not a lamp, and I have felt the plate - not even close to hot enough to burn.

There are 4 same-age chicks (hatch mates) in a 3 sq. ft. kennel in our coop. The big birds can’t really get much access to them.

He eats a standard, decent quality chick starter from the feed store.

I have seen a bit of evidence of a rat lurking (working on extermination), maybe he got narrowly missed by that?
I'm not sure it's from a rat, I feel like there'd be blood and more scabs, and that spot is a common place for being picked at.

Also, I think his feet are fine? Curled awkwardly from the way I’m holding him, and pink instead of yellow likely due to some lower quality breeding stock in his gene pool. What do you think you’re seeing, @Wyorp Rock and @Tookie?
His feet just look a bit puffy, that's all. He doesn't seem bothered by them right?

Back
Top Bottom