What’s your fav chicken breed??

Pics
Sometimes I'm jealous of other people's chickens, but my heart is held to only keeping silkies. They take a tish more maintenance than most chickens but I just love their demeanors and beauty. Good luck with adding more. :hugs
Yes I really wanted to try silkies but didn’t know if my big girls would be ok with them. And I was also worried about them being more maintenance and if they are really as fragile as them seem. Also can they take the heat because I’m in hot and humid Georgia

Sometimes I'm jealous of other people's chickens, but my heart is held to only keeping silkies. They take a tish more maintenance than most chickens but I just love their demeanors and beauty. Good luck with adding more. :hugs
I'm trying to do silkies and layers, my plan is to have my silkies in one chicken kingdom and the layers in my original coops.

Yes I really wanted to try silkies but didn’t know if my big girls would be ok with them. And I was also worried about them being more maintenance and if they are really as fragile as them seem. Also can they take the heat because I’m in hot and humid Georgia
A lot of folks have mixed breeds and they'll have a few silkies too. I'm not familiar with too many problems doing that as the silkies sort of stick together I've heard. I would just make sure if you get some that you get at least 4-5 as there's strength in numbers. ☺️

As for the heat, they do suffer just a bit more than most from it. We get a couple of weeks of 100F with high humidity up here in Wisconsin in the summer. They free-range and I'll find them under the Hostas usually. I always have a bucket of water (usually with Hydro Hen in it) out in the shade for them and put ice cubes in it a couple of times a day when it's that hot. The dogs and cats like that too. ☺️

I love a bearded/muffed chicken!! But specifically I love the d'uccles. (Followed closely by ameraucanas and faverolles)

Attachments

• PXL_20231202_195731462.jpg
    PXL_20231202_195731462.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20231201_173205698.jpg
    PXL_20231201_173205698.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20231207_192308596.jpg
    PXL_20231207_192308596.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20231011_142535570.jpg
    PXL_20231011_142535570.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 5
A lot of folks have mixed breeds and they'll have a few silkies too. I'm not familiar with too many problems doing that as the silkies sort of stick together I've heard. I would just make sure if you get some that you get at least 4-5 as there's strength in numbers. ☺️

As for the heat, they do suffer just a bit more than most from it. We get a couple of weeks of 100F with high humidity up here in Wisconsin in the summer. They free-range and I'll find them under the Hostas usually. I always have a bucket of water (usually with Hydro Hen in it) out in the shade for them and put ice cubes in it a couple of times a day when it's that hot. The dogs and cats like that too. ☺️
Thanks for the info. I may try some silkies one day!

Back
Top Bottom