What a night a the dairy-feel like a hero. Warning graphic

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
I thought I would tell all of you what kind of crazy time I had last night-this is a long post.
wee.gif

Saturday was my 1st day off in 3 weeks & I fully planned to make the most of it & let my hair down. So Friday night came along & I went to the local pub. At about 1am (after just 1 beer), I decided to check how my calves were doing because the dairy is right next to the pub & I had a tiny heifer with complications. So off I tramp in my really nice clothes. I gave her a bottle without getting dirty & saw that a cow was going into labor. I went back to the pub & decided to check her in an hour just to make sure that things were OK. Continued socializing with my good friends & then excused myself for 5 min to check on expectant mom.
She has a little heifer at her side! That's fine but it looks small so although we havn't had twins all year, something makes me go get out the shoulder gloves & check for another baby. Push my handbag out of the way & in I go. What on earth is this...feels like a balloon? Shouldn't be here...lets see if I can reach around it.......

POP!

Curse, splutter, gasp & mutter
rant.gif

Now my lovely white party clothes are completely soaked in blood & birth fluid from collar to leather shoes-not to mention my hair
sickbyc.gif

So now that the party is over for me, I may as well continue. I take off my watch & bag & in I go again. Yup, there's another one, upside down & backwards actually. So there's no way that she is going to have this alone-she isn't even having contractions. I get the ropes & try to get a rope around its legs but it's so deep inside, it would probably be easier to pull it out the cow's throat
tongue.png
I couldn't get things working so I called a co-worker who was behind the bar & asked him to come give me a hand. As you can imagine, he was thrilled
smack.gif

So luckily, I eventually get a rope around it's legs & we pull but it's stuck so I can't get the machine & the ropes to meet...we do it by hand. Pull the baby out and....
it's not breathing
barnie.gif

I ask my friend to hold my hair out my face & start pounding this thing to get it breathing before it's little heart stops beating-it is supplied with oxygen inside the mother so it's heart beats fine when it 1st comes out but if it doesn't breathe soon, the heart stops.
So back to me pounding-it's not working. So I put an arm down it's throat to pull as much mucus out as I can. Still not working. Then just as I was going in for a nasty session of mouth to mouth, it BREATHES!
About time too. It took some time & more pounding to get it regular but it worked. I then had to get mom away from calf #1 because she is ignoring #2 so I grab the baby & hightail it out of the stall. I put baby down, climbed the fence to pull her under from the other side & went splat-guess it was further to the ground than I thought. My hand hurt a lot but I continued & put both babies on the tractor & took them to the nursery. They got infrared lamps & their milk which they drank well.
I left a few bits out involving what happened to my clothes due to this being a family site but I think you guys get the point & we have 2 new healthy babies! I got home at 5am & slept the whole of my day off, only waking when my replacement called me in the evening to tell me that everyone was doing well. Had to tell someone & everyone here is sleeping now.

yippiechickie.gif

Great story!
Sorry about the clothes though.
but twins! and if you had not have gone to check...you could have only one orphan calf.
you are a hero!
wee.gif

Congratulations on a fabulous job! Sorry about the clothes. Just goes to show you never buy white party clothes. I swear there's an unwritten law about it. Hope mom and babies do well.

Congratulations on your 1000th post CMV!
Yeah, from now on we will be checking every cow for twins I think. It's a pity it was a boy & girl pair but they are healthy & that is what counts.
I never wear white but I had visions of really letting my hair down & I thought white would be more fun. The clothes didn't get ruined though, I took em off & washed them there & then
hide.gif

OMG great story!! I someday hope to have a place where we can have cows and horses... These are things I don't know if I could handle!! SO you are my hero
smile.png

Thanks guys!
I actually learned all the birthing stuff from horses & transferred it to cows 2 years ago. There are some fabulous websites that really helped me along. I have 200-500 calves in my care from birth to 6 months old & then they are someone elses problem.

Back
Top Bottom