What about Feeding Worms or Other Bugs?

I love all the great ideas! I do not spend a lot of time with finding chicken food. I have so much other stuff to do besides the farm! (I wish I could just do it full time!) I mainly use store feed, but it is outrageously expensive! I also, I put an ad on "Nextdoor" and neighbors bring goodies for my hens and goats and bunnies and quail. I also go to discount grocery places and grab stuff for really low prices. I found sunflower seeds, for example, for around 40 cents a pound. I am just moving over away from ONLY the store feed so it may take a while to find sources for the food that are stable and will save money!

Catfsm, good food pays off! The store bought chicken feed is actually the most cost effective way to get a balanced diet for them, unless you are feeding thousands of birds and can make it yourself. Modern laying hens need that balanced diet, and can use the other stuff as a supplement only. Mary

I have a local feed mill that makes their own chicken feed---right not $14 for a 50lb bag of layer. I friended the guy that has been working there for years and he told me how they make the feed-----well I did not pay it a lot of attention. Then my Mother re-Married to a man that worked for the State and worked at that feed mill part time----he told me how they made the layer feed as well as the grower for the young birds(same as the other man had told me). I now buy what I need and make most all of my own---it saves me about $5 to $6 per 50lb bag---according to what I am making. I buy the corn about a ton at the time---grind and mix. It only saves me about $20 per week right now but a couple years ago it was saving me about $75 to $100 per week and the way I am set-up it does not take A lot of my time---but it takes time. My Layers do good on it and I mix it 16%. When you raise to sell chickens/chicks every dollar saved is a good Thing!

Back
Top Bottom