What about for the building-impaired? The coop-stupid?

Think of it this way - you just need to build a box. Four sides, top, bottom. You can DO that, really!
wink.png

If you use plywood as the walls/floor/roof of the coop, and screw it into 2x3s or 2x4s where you want the pieces of plywood to meet, there is not really all that much that can go wrong. You may have to add a piece here or there to retrofit a bit more stability but really it WILL WORK
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

Well....I must tell you that my husband and I have NEVER built anything. Never. Not one thing. Ever. We were building idiots.

Then...last May we bought 2.5 acres not far from our home. You can read "My Page" if you want to read the story. But the summary is: building a barn w/a professional builder was going to cost nearly $20,000 - NOT! So my husband built me a beautiful three stall barn...AND a chicken coop & run! We hadn't ever built anything. He is absolutely my hero!

We bought all the wood and supplies from Home Depot (they helped us figure out what we needed) and had it all delivered. When it came, we sat and stared at it....then stared some more. We didn't know what to do or where to start!

I finally said to my husband (after much staring) - we know we need four corners...let's start there. And we did. We figured it out as we went along - and you can, too! Get a game plan and just start - you'll surprise yourself!

I have a play house coop that I started with - I love it...but I wanted MORE CHICKENS...so we just completed a new coop
tongue.png
that will hold the 28 chicks I got this last month! Yippeeeee.

Like Nike says - JUST DO IT!

Bygone, I recommend a chicken tractor. It's the simplest thing in the world. I built mine in half a day, from a plan on gardengirltv.com. That lady is amazing. She has a series of videos you can follow.
She has her coops measured to fit in her raised garden beds, but I just plunk mine on the grass, and move it every week. They keep the grass cut, their feet clean, and everyone's happy and healthy!
Enjoy your new peeps!

You will be fine and remember your chickens don't care what it looks like as long as the coop provides what they need. The playhouse coop is pretty easy and do not be afraid to "wing it" when needed. You will surprise yourself when you are done
thumbsup.gif

When I bought my first house by myself, I bought some how-to books, including one on basic carpentry, that showed how to build a simple shed, among other things. It really helped me a lot! And it helped my husband, after we met.
big_smile.png

A lot of people have been nice enough to take pictures as they were building their coops and post them. It really helps to see things being done step by step. Try looking at the coop design pages. There's a link at the top of this page. If you find a coop design you like with good how-to pictures, you could make one like it.

I know several people have built the playhouse coop and some might have pictures of the construction. That's a nice coop design.

This forum is fantastic for getting help on building coops. They really are the best. If you get stuck or have a problem, just ask. The most important things to remember are, chickens aren't picky and a nice coat of paint makes everything look good!

I currently just built an outside brooder that actually stays real warm and I am working on building the outside coop for my layers. My boyfriend gives me the idea and then I do it. I ask for help whenever I need it. I just remember that they need the right amount of room and to be dry. Oh and go on craigslist you may be able to find someone giving away wood. My brooder and coop is made out of what use to a porch. All free. And to make it look better I just paint it to match the barn which is green paint so it blends in.

Honey, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

My DH and I had never built anything EVER. Get a shed/deck book at Home Depot and USE IT. And be realistic about your budget - if you live in a cold place, then it's going to cost more money. Be honest with yourself up front to avoid disappointment down the line.

I picked up a large crate, for FREE, when we were building our coop as an emergency back up in case the project went down the drain.... we never ended up using it, but they are available everywhere. Good places to look are hot-tub/pool showrooms, restaurant (or kitchen) supply distributers and motorcycle shops. These crates are plenty large and built strong. Most come with a lid roof and will fit into the back of a pick up.

Good luck. You can do this!

Check my posts for the Banty Tractor. I am in my mid teens, very little building experience. Draw plans, look at the coop page with how they did framing, met at the corners, attached roof. Also, some needed tools, level (if you're picky), jigsaw from walmart for $20, tape measure, drill or hammer.

If you're really building impaired, go to home depot and get cull lumber, it's like 50 cent for a piece of wood and if you mess up it's not that hard on your wallet.

Went to Grossman's Clearance Store - a hardware discount store - today and got a 8 x 8 wooden shed with a gambrel roof for $200. Here's the catch. Someone backed into in the parking lot dented in one door and one side panel. We have a bit a spare plywood pieces to fix it and a new hinge on the one door. So, maybe 1 - 2 hours work. To get in home we had to drive 20 mph so the shingles wouldn't blow off. Well it's here and I will post some pics when I can get some.

Back
Top Bottom