What age can I deworm my chicks?

My boss has had chickens for over 50+ years and he deworms his chicks as soon as they hatch with a all natural deformed using a gallon of water and 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar with Mother in it.
I meant to say dewormer but autocorrect changed it

Ok thanks for letting me know do you have any recommendations on good natural deworming or any dewormer in general

I've never seen any evidence of my flock having worms and thus have never looked into deworming.

I live quite close to a farm store and would be able to purchase an approved dewormer should I ever discover that my flock actually *had* worms. :)

Ok thanks for letting me know do you have any recommendations on good natural deworming or any dewormer in general
I use Valbazen sheep dewormer

The dosage is about 1/2 a ml for a 5-6 pound hen, or a 0.08 ml per pound of body weight.

Almost all of my chickens weighed differently (at the time some were 12 weeks, others were 1 year, and others were 3 years, plus some were bantams.) I wrote down their weight (I placed them on a kitchen scale covered in plastic wrap) then calculated how much to give them, then gave them the dose. With a flock of 13, it took about 2 hours to do it all. (I gave them a lot of mealworms as a reward.)

You give it orally with a syringe, opening their beak with two fingers pinching the sides, (some people say to pull on their wattles, but I don't do this as it sounds more uncomfortable and some of the 12 week olds didn't have wattles) then squirt it down their throat. I find it best to have a helper for that. It wasn't cheap (about 60 dollars, but its a big bottle) but I probably won't use most of it. It's not natural, I don't think though.

This is what I used (not my photo) I like it because it is very gentle, but works really well. Some people say to discard eggs, but I ate them fine afterwards. If you're worried about someone in your family having a reaction to something in the medicine, I would toss the eggs, but I didn't.
1623378774824.png

Back
Top Bottom