What age did your BO's start crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HEChicken, Oct 17, 2009.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I know it is really variable on age but from what I gather, some breeds crow earlier than others so I'm curious for those of you who have BO's - what age did they first crow?

I have three who are now 14 weeks old. One is definitely a pullet. The other two, when I posted 9 week pics, a few people thought pullet but most said roo. They do have more developed combs & wattles than the pullet but I'm not seeing any pointy tail or saddle feathers so the jury is still out (for me anyway). I finally decided to just wait until they either crow or lay an egg [​IMG] But I would have thought they might have at least tried to crow by 14 weeks..... (it doesn't matter much to me which they are, but I can't help being curious).

edited to correct typo

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    No one has a BO rooster?

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I started with 7 BO roos and the first one crowed at about 4 months.

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    My BO roos are 19 weeks old today. The first one started crowing at 13-14 weeks. A friend who has BO's thought he was a little early.

The other two had his example and started a couple of weeks later. The most junior roo's voice still cracks, like a teenage boy!

It is so exciting when they start, but now I wish I could get mine to do it a little later in the morning! [​IMG]

5. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    I have 3 BO roosters about 12 wks. No crowing yet.

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have waaay too many BO roosters and truthfully, I don't know if any of them crow! They are on the bottom of the pecking order so that may be why. If anyone wants a nice BO roo, let me know! I have around 30 that need to go one way or the other!

7. loobell

loobell New Egg

Jul 11, 2016
    My BO roo started attempting to crow at almost 11 wks. We were hoping the chicken was a hen but his first crow attempt was the day after my father-in-law said he was a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by