1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do turkeys gobble?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by tdmason, May 28, 2010.

1. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    I was just curious about what age will a turkey gobble so that you can tell what they are? Also, on my 8 week old birds, their is a little bump on their legs like a wart for a spur mark. It is really small but you can feel and see it. Would that make them toms pretty much?

2. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hey there, I am brand new to turkeys, but I see that my turkey hens have that same spur/bump on their foreheads. So.....that dosen't seem to help us [​IMG] I have 5 that I am unsure of....

3. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:My turkeys are 5 1/2 weeks old and the difference in them is obvious. The toms head is already turning red and the wattles (I think that is what the area along the throat is called?) is already turning red and growing. The hens just have the barest pink showing under the head feathers. The tom also started strutting when he was a week old. His snood bump is also larger than the hens.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I have seen a lot of things that would indicate a tom or a hen but the truth is you never know untill the tom dances and fans his tail out at least in bourbon reds that is

5. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Quote:Both male and female can strut. The only way to tell for sure is a gobble or egg.

6. Pturn

Pturn New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    I've only had my turkeys for about 2weeks I don't know how old they were when I got them but how old do they need to be before I put them outside & how can you really tell them apart?:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by