What age do white leghorns lay?

I have a friend who just got some white leghorns about 3 weeks ago from a neighbor. They where laying great but they slowly have been decreasing in egg laying. She hasn't changed their food, only thing is they have been moved recently. They are 10 months old. Has moving them caused them to stop laying and once they are comfortable in their surroundings will they pick up again?

my leghorns are some 13 weeks old and no eggs yet but i will let everyone know when the first one lays.

My girls are 16 weeks old and 2 have started laying this past week,and boy are they LOUD! 1st 2 eggs were kind of small but now they look like regular eggs.
woot.gif

No not really. Can they start molting at 10 months old? I thought it was too early for that. I was thinking because they had been moved & they are a flighty & nervous bird, that why they decreased.

Quote:
with any new birds i have had its taken them no more than three maybe four days and their back to laying after a move and i have had a few that aren't worried at all and never stop laying because of a move.

edited because i can't type
tongue.png

Last edited:
No not really. Can they start molting at 10 months old? I thought it was too early for that. I was thinking because they had been moved & they are a flighty & nervous bird, that why they decreased.
White leghorns tend to moult heavily and mine have moulted at 6 months before and egg production will cease whilst they’re growing new feathers. This will normally start in autumn through to early winter. Once we get past the shortest day of the year egg production will increase. So now you need to be patient, and ensure they’re getting enough protein.

Back
Top Bottom