1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what age is it ok to integrate????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smcdermott, Feb 13, 2015.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    I have 4 - 2 week olds
    And
    4 - 6 to 8 week olds
    They are currently in 2 different cages. I would love to put them together. BUT my one 5 week RIR (profile pic) is VERY aggressive with the little ones. Chasing and pecking them. Hasn't hurt them or blood but it's a mean little thing.
    What do y'all think????

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I don't like to put them together when there is more than 3 weeks difference in age. Since the RIR is already causing trouble I would advise against putting them together. It will just cause the littlest ones a lot of stress and may affect their development. I would wait to put them together when they go out into their outdoor coop. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd start adding the bigs to the littles. one at a time and starting with the youngest. One bird taken from it's group and added to another group usually wont' cause any issues, even if the new group is smaller. Save the most aggressive bird for last.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by