What age to let chickens out to forage ?

My hens will likely take care of them for about 6-8 weeks (not 100% sure... never really noted it before). Once the chicks/pullets seem to be more independant my one hen, the Frizzle, beans them on the head and then she is done! She heads off to perch on her own and starts laying another clutch( though they are never fertile). The young pullets have to learn to manage on their own. I find hens raised by a mom are more "worldly".... they just seem to be able to forage better then those raised under lights.

My hens will likely take care of them for about 6-8 weeks (not 100% sure... never really noted it before). Once the chicks/pullets seem to be more independant my one hen, the Frizzle, beans them on the head and then she is done! She heads off to perch on her own and starts laying another clutch( though they are never fertile). The young pullets have to learn to manage on their own. I find hens raised by a mom are more "worldly".... they just seem to be able to forage better then those raised under lights.
My game hens tend / brood chicks through about 5 weeks post-hatch. At about end of that time chicks become juveniles and hen stops clucking and if in good condition she resumes laying another clutch. When not on nest hen will still stay with her offspring and defend their interest against other chickens but she will no longer defend them from predators. Their father, if he bonded with them while under her care will still defend them until they are pushing 12 weeks post-hatch. My American Dominique hens do not tend chicks as long, usually 3 to 4 weeks, and I have not observed American Dominique roosters to defend juvenile offspring.

My game hens tend / brood chicks through about 5 weeks post-hatch.  At about end of that time chicks become juveniles and hen stops clucking and if in good condition she resumes laying another clutch.  When not on nest hen will still stay with her offspring and defend their interest against other chickens but she will no longer defend them from predators.  Their father, if he bonded with them while under her care will still defend them until they are pushing 12 weeks post-hatch.  My American Dominique hens do not tend chicks as long, usually 3 to 4 weeks, and I have not observed American Dominique roosters to defend juvenile offspring.

This is great to know , I am new to chicks. We got our girls right before they starting laying. Had one go broody and a friend gave a few eggs for her to hatch. 2 out of the 4 hatched and I was just wondering how long she would care for them.

Bird pictured is an American Game (AG). He is very similar to many wild-type colored breeds but has always been bred under free-range conditions. They make excellent harem masters for smaller (<10) groups of hens. Mine are very good at getting hens and chicks to move about to get into quality forage. Same roosters can also be kept with 4 week-old and older juveniles as a baby sitter. They not only warn of predators, they will also actively fend off a hawk. Down side is you can have only one free-range at a time.

Thank you. He's a sight! My parents always kept four or five game hens mixed in with the flock when I was growing up. They always seemed to take really good care of hatching and raising chicks. As a matter of fact one of them about got my eye, twice, while I was trying to herd one of her chicks out of the stall with the horse. I was scared Pilgrim would step on it. Momma didn't like that at all. Nailed me with her beak right below my eyebrow and on my temple.

It's great to know that I'm not the only one that uses an adult rooster to be babysitter. That's the reason I purchased the Blue Copper Splash Maran pictured as my avatar. All of my chicks are 8 weeks and younger. I was worried about having someone to watch over them when I wasn't right there with them.

I think mine were 3.5 mos old when I would let them out an hour before dusk. They had been in the coop about a month at that age. I stayed close (lawn chair & a beer or two) to supervise. They put themselves back in the coop without assistance. I let them out earlier and earlier until I just let them out when I let the dogs out in the morning.

the best of luck with the girls,but do you mean jasper Ga I live in Thomaston travel for work never heard of japer

Mine are 9 and 7 weeks and have been out in the yard for about 3-4 weeks and they head into the coop around 7 or 8, without any issues. If I want them in the coop prior to that, I just shake their feed container and they all come running.

I let my chicks out with their mothers and me at about 4 weeks. Only about 3 feet though, and they had their moms. All my adult chickens come running when I shake their treat bag.

Back
Top Bottom