What age to let chickens out to forage ?

I actually agree. First off, I'm TX so the temps are warmer here to begin with, but my girls feathered out much quicker because I took them from the brooder to the coop within 4 weeks and by week 4 people thought they were older than they actually were because they had feathered out more than a 4 week old chick. I learned that from an OT'er on the Texas thread and it worked. I don't know if you could do that in all climates, but in Texas it's warm so I was able to without being worried of them killing over from the cold and not having enough feathers.

X2 here in South Carolina.

I have 2 Hawks that come flying around and will actually land just outside the area and look at them. The big Brahmas now almost 4 months old will come running right to them. Stupid birds. LOL. I've had chickens for 3 years now and never lost one yet. I'm sure it will be a matter of time. If you have chickens you most likely will lost a few here and there. Unless you cover a whole area. Which I have 4 areas and too many birds to do that. So actually I just let mother nature play out. How ever you want to take that. But so far like I said, I have been lucky. A fox came by twice out there too. But can't get in. Hung a few sweaty t's and haven't seen him back.
Cover I provide is in the form of low vegetation birds can get into that obstructs hawks vision and ability to fly. Brambles, wild roses and sumac are most important currently. Your 4 month old birds approaching hawk may protect smaller birds. My game roosters will handily deal with my biggest threat to chicks, namely Coopers Hawks. Red-tails are more difficult but once hawk is on ground rooster has advantage. Ground level cover helps with that as well.

I think mine were 3.5 mos old when I would let them out an hour before dusk. They had been in the coop about a month at that age. I stayed close (lawn chair & a beer or two) to supervise. They put themselves back in the coop without assistance. I let them out earlier and earlier until I just let them out when I let the dogs out in the morning.

Sorry, but I think that's way too old before a chicken is let outside. The way I think about it is, how would you like to be cooped up for about 2 years before your let outside. A chicken has the ability to protect itself. It knows when to run for cover. I mean 3 1/2 months, there missing out on there time of growth when they should be learning when to run and when not too. The lack of exercise, the protein from the bugs I could go on and on. Just my opinion of course, but I think keeping them in a coop for that long is more cruel than a hawk taking 1 or 2. I just don't see how healthy they could be, being locked up for that long. Again, just my opinion.

I brought mine at 8 weeks old. For the first two days I kept them locked inside the coop (which is big enough for eight hens, so plenty of room for three small ones!) so they could get used to a new environment. Whilst they were in there I brought my dog out to the coop (who was very excited by the new family members) so they could be introduced in a safe environment. We knew he was harmless, but young hens who've never seen a dog before don't.

After that I just left the coop door open during the day and allowed them to get used to having a big open space to themselves. At first thy didn't wonder far from the coop, but within a week they'd claimed their garden as their own. For about the first two weeks we'd only take the dog out there on his lead. Again, we knew he'd do no harm, but we wanted to get the chickens used to seeing him and wanted to be able to move him away if they got too freaked out.

From the sounds of your original post, I'd say you could probably let them out now, but if you're nervous keep an eye on them. If you have any other animals (other hens included), make sure you introduce them slowly so all animals get used to each other and don't get over excited, territorial or try to play when they're too small to handle it.

Hope this helps c:

Last edited:
Hello I too had a lot of copper heads at my house until I turned my chickens and guineas loose, now the only snakes I see are the ones I see my rooster killing and then the small ones get eaten by the hens, about three weeks ago I heard a bunch of ruckus in the coop, ( I have 3 broody hens sitting on eggs) I went to look and there was a huge black snake trying to steal eggs, but those three Broody's killed it before it could get to the eggs, the power company was down here replacing the power lines, ( under ground) they told me every where they work they run across all kinds of snakes but they had been down in here for around two months and had only seen one that one of my hens was eating, thank heavens they love snakes!!!

HAHAHA. One of my Brahmas caught, killed and eat a foot long snake already this year. Nothing goes in and can expect to come out alive.
gig.gif

We had a light rain today. If I were to let mine out at three weeks, then I would stand to loose the entire lot. Hen reared, no such problems. By five weeks they can usually take all but the most intense rain events.

Yes, I will say that when I put mine outside that early I have to get them in the coop when it rains. Once they have feathered out, except maybe there heads, there fine. Mine will go in the coop by themselves when it rains. Heck at 2 weeks of age they go in and out and roost for the night at 2 weeks old. I have to chase them for the first day then after that they go in by themselves.

Cover I provide is in the form of low vegetation birds can get into that obstructs hawks vision and ability to fly. Brambles, wild roses and sumac are most important currently. Your 4 month old birds approaching hawk may protect smaller birds. My game roosters will handily deal with my biggest threat to chicks, namely Coopers Hawks. Red-tails are more difficult but once hawk is on ground rooster has advantage. Ground level cover helps with that as well.

Yes. That is why all my coops are at least 18" or so above the ground. If a roo sends the trouble cry out they all run under the coop. Every signal one of them. And at a very early age. They just know that sound!!

Yes I saw my 4 day old chicks scatter and completely hide when I accidentally turned to a site on my Smart phone that blasted out a note or two of music. They were hidden in ONE second - behind the feeder, waterer and the clock I have propped up. And then went perfectly still. It was amazing how their instincts took over that young.

I think my chickens are backwards. I have seen them out foraging with deer and wild turkey in the yard and they treat the wild animals like part of the flock. They aren't usually scared of my dogs, but if a rabbit or squirrel comes in the yard...they run for their lives! I've also watched them get chased around by a butterfly. I would think they would be more afraid of the big animals...haha

Back
Top Bottom