what age will they start laying and what egg color will they have??

kpsocalchicks89

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Yucaipa, ca
hi all so I would like to know from people who have these breeds when they started laying and what the egg color/size will be mine. they are only 15 weeks old but im just curious I have people asking me and im not quiet sure :)

these are the babies:
Wyandotte
2 RIR
buff orpington
Dominique
brahma
BSL

i know what the BSL and RIRs will lay i have them already but im not sure about the others.

thank you!
i can post pics if desired

I have Wyandottes, and you've selected a dynamite layer! They should begin laying anywhere between 5 and 6 months of age. They lay light tan eggs of a decent size.

Look for their combs to get bright red and you'll know to begin looking for the first egg in about a week. Also, they may begin to squat when you reach down for them from behind. Eggs should follow soon.

I live at 7500 ft elevation where the winters get down below zero. My Wyandottes molt in fall, then resume winter laying in January. They are excellent year-round layers. Besides that, they are among the most beautiful of all the breeds.

My dominique laid her first yesterday and she's 28 weeks old. Her face was red for 1-2 weeks. She started egg squatting about 2 days before the first egg.

One of my Wyandottes is close to laying. She's 27 weeks old. No egg squat yet. I have another Wyandotte the same age who's face has yet to turn red.

I have a buff brahma and was told they're usually about a month behind everyone else.

Last edited:
Hello, my Wyandottes started laying tan colored medium size eggs at about 5 to six months.

Ok so like soon then she's not squatting or anything yet just red this is her :)

Quote: For the most part yes, they have a rose comb. Once in awhile they will have a single comb. These are the "breed standard" But they are more fertile so they are kept for that purpose. Just random fun but nearly useless fact from the neighborhood chicken lady. :p

Back
Top Bottom