what age will they start laying and what egg color will they have??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kpsocalchicks89, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kpsocalchicks89

kpsocalchicks89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Yucaipa, ca
    hi all so I would like to know from people who have these breeds when they started laying and what the egg color/size will be mine. they are only 15 weeks old but im just curious I have people asking me and im not quiet sure :)

these are the babies:
    Wyandotte
    2 RIR
    buff orpington
    Dominique
    brahma
    BSL

i know what the BSL and RIRs will lay i have them already but im not sure about the others.

thank you!
    i can post pics if desired

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have Wyandottes, and you've selected a dynamite layer! They should begin laying anywhere between 5 and 6 months of age. They lay light tan eggs of a decent size.

Look for their combs to get bright red and you'll know to begin looking for the first egg in about a week. Also, they may begin to squat when you reach down for them from behind. Eggs should follow soon.

3. kpsocalchicks89

May 27, 2013
    Yucaipa, ca
    awesome so they should start the next few months what about during winter will they still lay?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I live at 7500 ft elevation where the winters get down below zero. My Wyandottes molt in fall, then resume winter laying in January. They are excellent year-round layers. Besides that, they are among the most beautiful of all the breeds.

5. kpsocalchicks89

May 27, 2013
    Yucaipa, ca
    My Wyandotte has super red face her waddles are coming in nice but no big comb?

6. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    My dominique laid her first yesterday and she's 28 weeks old. Her face was red for 1-2 weeks. She started egg squatting about 2 days before the first egg.

One of my Wyandottes is close to laying. She's 27 weeks old. No egg squat yet. I have another Wyandotte the same age who's face has yet to turn red.

I have a buff brahma and was told they're usually about a month behind everyone else.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I believe Wyandotte has a rose comb. That's why you're not seeing the big comb that you're used to. Readers, correct me if I'm wrong!

8. Math

Math Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Hello, my Wyandottes started laying tan colored medium size eggs at about 5 to six months.

9. kpsocalchicks89

May 27, 2013
    Yucaipa, ca
    Ok so like soon then she's not squatting or anything yet just red this is her :)
    [​IMG]

10. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by