What am I? Besides cute! Really, does anyone know what I am?

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
This is my pullet Indy. She hatched out July 26th from an egg that we got from another BYC'er that breeds several different breeds, and the eggs were mixed. All I can guess from looking at her is that she probably has Welsummer in her. Personality wise, she is VERY feisty, skittish, right from hatching, and rather standoffish. She isn't mean at all, just runs if you try to grab her, which I guess is pretty typical of chickens. She is rather small though, about the same size as my Silkie roo, and the Standards rejected her, so I put her in with the Bantams and she does very well with them. She weights maybe 4 lbs, max. She has yellow legs, and when she hatched, she had chipmunk markings. Here are her pics:

29191_chicken_pictures_feb_2010_273.jpg

29191_chicken_pictures_feb_2010_279.jpg

Besides Welsummer, what else do you all think she might have in her? I'll have to go back through my old PM's to see if I can find where the other breeds are that she could be mixed with. If I didn't delete them, I will add it to this thread. She isn't laying yet either. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks my little girl is!

Ok, the birds she had running together at that time were BLRW, Welsummer, and a BO hen. I didn't keep the other PM's (just not enough storage in there to hang onto the old ones), but I know there were other breeds that she mentioned as a possibility, but I got eggs from that pen, where she had the above mentioned birds.

Quote:
I agree. The legs don't look right for a New Hampshire Red, But not ruling it out. She looks like she is taking after the Welsummer the most. But could be something completely different.

I'm hoping she lays darker eggs like the Welsummers, but I guess I have to just wait til she lays. Is it in the Welsummer's personality to be flighty like she is? Cause I know the BO's are friendly and calm, if that's indeed what she is a mix of. When she was a chick, she was our house chicken for a long time, but she refused to wear her diaper and refused to sit still, EVER, so out to the coop we moved her, but they tore her apart, so she came back inside until I split the flock and separated the Bantams from the Standards. Then I moved her down to the Bantams, and there was very little fussing before they accepted her. Now she's one of the favorite girls to get "loved" on by the roos, lol. And they do a decent job of mounting her because she's not too much bigger than they are. Should be interesting to what chicks she would produce, cause most of my active roos are Bantam Cochins!

Back
Top Bottom