What am I doing wrong? Chicks sticking to egg shells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Serina81, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    I have the humidity around 50% during the first 18 days and then up to 65-70% during the last 3, but I still have at least one chick getting stuck to its egg shell. What am I doing wrong? Does it need to be higher? All the other chicks are fine, it's just the one or two chicks per hatch.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I seem to remember reading some where that it's caused by too much humidity, maybe worth getting a second hygro meter to double check? [​IMG]

3. shellrae7

shellrae7 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    It could also be because you are opening the incubator a few times to remove chicks and place in the brooder, so you are letting out big wafts of humidity for a time when you do that. I'm not sure if you're doing that or not, but just a thought.

4. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    I thought that too, but yesterday's hatch I made sure the door was not open ever during the three day lockdown. That's what's got me confused... I had high humidity and the door stayed shut. I brought the humidity up to 80% for the rest of the hatch and didn't have a problem for the last few eggs, but I didn't have a problem with the first few eggs either. Maybe just a weak chick issue?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by