What am I doing Wrong?

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Honestly, im really frustrated. I honestly don't know why my birds are SO aggressive to each other and now some are getting aggressive with me to. It's honestly making me really sad. I mean, I expect occasional bickering like with any birds, but out of 8 birds that have died from this group, 6 have been because of others in their enclosures, usually other females!

It finally seems like everything's going good and then i have one that's scalped badly and hardly conscious when I find them.

They have more than enough food, plenty of clean water 24/7 and even the most crowded group is one bird per sq. Foot, not even close to the 3 per sq. Foot the breeder said they can maintain. The least crowded was 2 males in a 6sq. Foot area that were perfect together until I took the larger one out real quick to look at him for a moment. I put him back in not even two minutes later and he's trying to kill the smaller male like they've never seen each other. He almost room his eye out and wouldn't let go when I tried to seperate them

I have 2 now that are aggressive to me, at first it was just the male, who is destined for dinner cause he drew blood, but now my favorite female is getting aggressive at me too. I really don't want to cull her because she's the last one from this group I truly enjoy having, but seriously

Part of me is tempted to just cull this whole group from my barn, but I really don't want to. They're a good size, lay eggs more reliably than my chickens, and I had gotten them so I had my own eggs to hatch out for butcher next spring.

Ah figured I would ask as bobwhites are known to get aggressive. What’s your male to female ratio?
I have 2 mixed groups (1male with 5 gals and 1 male with 2 gals.) They are the most peaceful, and the smaller group has the aggressive favorite. She's killed 1 other hen I've had with her since I got her and killed a male I tried to put with them instead of the smaller one that is still with them.
I have a trio of females I'm trying to introduce a male to as well but that's not going good either

I have 2 mixed groups (1male with 5 gals and 1 male with 2 gals.) They are the most peaceful, and the smaller group has the aggressive favorite. She's killed 1 other hen I've had with her since I got her and killed a male I tried to put with them instead of the smaller one that is still with them.
I have a trio of females I'm trying to introduce a male to as well but that's not going good either
Trips are tricky with corturnix, especially if you have a violent female like you mentioned. I currently have a trio, but it only works because my male is done breeding for now. The two females also are very close as well. Maybe get rid of the aggressive female?

Cull or get rid of the female that is the problem then either get more females for the last male or get rid of him cuz hes gonna need some females they like atleast 3-6 depending on how much they wear the females out mating

I don’t have any advice as to what’s causing this but I do know what I would do in this situation. If not SUPER attached I’d say get rid of her, but if you are here’s what I’d try:
  • get a smaller cage for just the aggressive female
  • Keep her in that cage (maybe a week or so) INSIDE a larger cage with other birds (preferably the most docile group you have)
  • If you let her out and she’s still aggressive you can either repeat the process, separating her for longer (maybe two weeks this time) or cut your losses and get rid of the aggressive hen
It all depends on how much you like her and how much you’re willing to try to find a solution. In the end, the decision is yours

Olay, I'll try a cage method, but I'll probably have to build something for it since my runs are custom made.

I know that I should cull her, but I just can't. She's my favorite from this batch, and I'm just too attached.

As for extra females, I can't get anymore until I hatch or order next spring. I'm not sure I need more though honestly for that trio. He's been with them through his most hormonal phase and they look like there's never been a male with them. I know the male isn't the problem, he's on the bottom of the totem pole and I've spent hours lately trying to see if there's something specific that sets them off

how is their runs looks like? did you provide them shelter? add some pots? dry hay?sand? branches? my ratio is 1male and two females..they just run away and hide when they do not want to mate with the rooster but my rooster is very gentle towards my hens..provide them enough shelter or hiding spots will surely solve this problem in my opinion. some females are also very territorial like they do not want to share their nest

Back
Top Bottom