What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cat, Oct 14, 2008.

1. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have three hens who are molting so no eggs from them, but I also have 6 pulletts that are 6 months + and still no sign of any eggs.

The days are getting shorter so I am lighting the coop early in the morning, they are eating the layers pellets and free range during the day. I have looked everywhere in case they are hiding eggs... but nothing [​IMG]

The only thing I can think of is we have had very wet weather for weeks, does anyone know if this stops them laying?

I am now so OCD I check them each morning and its really dissapointing to see nothing, not even egg layig behaviour. [​IMG]

I have brought them into the kitchen and shown them the oven but still nothing! can i scare those eggs out of them?

Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What's the background on the pullets? I'm wondering if it's the breed...

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have had to wait 34+ weeks for eggs from hens. Try to be patient. The eggs will come.

4. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Quote:they are a mixture, 1 buff orpington, 1 lavender araucana, 1 gold laced wyandotte, 1 buff cochin, 1 black brahma.

my friend has a silkie and everyone says they don't lay so well but she gets an egg every day!

maybe she is stealing mine lol

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can only comment on the breed I know, the brahma. You do not have a black brahma (there's no such thing) you have a dark.
    Brahmas can take as long as 30+ weeks until they start laying. Only one of my dark brahmas is laying at 27 weeks. My lights started earlier and my buffs are just starting to lay.
    I agree with Miss Prissy. Patience is the key.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by