What am I forgetting?

Sounds like you've done your homework!

You might want to find a vet that knows chickens... before the emergency when you need one.

And it sounds like your skipping the baby chick phase... so you probably don't need a brooder setup.

Now the hardest part. The waiting!

Cheers!

Quote:
Hardware cloth it is....you guys are breaking my budget for this project however. Maybe I can find some hardware cloth free on Craig's list?
lol.png

Wait, how about chicken wire with bottom 3-4 feet hardware cloth on the outside? 6 foot high hardware cloth is gonna get really expensive really fast. (Even if I buy it 3 feet and run more wood at the seam...do you see where this is going?)

Quote:
Dixie do you let them out to run free ? I am so so scared of all the hawks we have here, and we don't even have any chickens yet.

I haven't, either and my flock free ranges with plenty of hawks around. Cats keep them from landing, and we have discs hanging from trees to distract the hawks.

Quote:
Disease research? Really comes in handy, learned from experience!

x2
wink.png
It really helps to know what you are seeing when you see it! I also learned, and you should get some handy medicines for some common diseases/injuries.
big_smile.png

Did disease research as part of reading all I could about chickens. I even put some sites in my favorites so I can find them readily *if* I need them. Having a chicken "first aid kit" assembled never crossed my mind, but seems like a good idea....I'll add it to my list.

Quote:
Hardware cloth it is....you guys are breaking my budget for this project however. Maybe I can find some hardware cloth free on Craig's list?
lol.png

Wait, how about chicken wire with bottom 3-4 feet hardware cloth on the outside? 6 foot high hardware cloth is gonna get really expensive really fast. (Even if I buy it 3 feet and run more wood at the seam...do you see where this is going?)

How about 2x4 welded wire wall and top with hardware cloth added to bottom. The hardware cloth prevents raccoons from pulling chicken parts through the fence for a fatal snack. Welded wire fence will keep out most things, up to large dogs, but you will probably still have trouble with mice, rats, squirrels, snakes, and birds.

Quote:
x2
wink.png
It really helps to know what you are seeing when you see it! I also learned, and you should get some handy medicines for some common diseases/injuries.
big_smile.png

Did disease research as part of reading all I could about chickens. I even put some sites in my favorites so I can find them readily *if* I need them. Having a chicken "first aid kit" assembled never crossed my mind, but seems like a good idea....I'll add it to my list.

Great! Here's some good links as a back-up, in case you haven't seen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=112920 and https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=424922

Quote:
My cat's vet does chickens too. He's a real "old country doc" ...my cat LOVES him....purrs right after the shot...

I AM skipping the baby chick stage, on purpose. I did it once with my 4 year old class. Had 100% hatch rate from mail order eggs. I knew NOTHING about hatching eggs, except for the 6 page booklet that my friend lent me with the incubator.

I have a brooder set up from my Mallards last summer. Another reason I am skipping the baby stage. OMG, ducks are messy, messy, messy. So if I have a hen reject a youngun' I can take care of it. But basically I am gonna let the hens do the hatching and brooding for me. Did I forget to put "design brooder area for future expansion" to my list...
gig.gif

Chicken.Lytle :

Quote:
lol.png

How about 2x4 welded wire wall and top with hardware cloth added to bottom. The hardware cloth prevents raccoons from pulling chicken parts through the fence for a fatal snack. Welded wire fence will keep out most things, up to large dogs, but you will probably still have trouble with mice, rats, squirrels, snakes, and birds.​

I agree with this. However I have just 2X4 welded wire for the run, so far so good.
fl.gif

I would get a live trap and have some sort of firearm to dispatch all the predators that try to get your chickens.

Quote:
How about 2x4 welded wire wall and top with hardware cloth added to bottom. The hardware cloth prevents raccoons from pulling chicken parts through the fence for a fatal snack. Welded wire fence will keep out most things, up to large dogs, but you will probably still have trouble with mice, rats, squirrels, snakes, and birds.

I agree with this. However I have just 2X4 welded wire for the run, so far so good.
fl.gif

I would get a live trap and have some sort of firearm to dispatch all the predators that try to get your chickens.

I'm gonna forgo the live trap. I have the firearm and a man who is a crack shot. If it comes in the yard it's gonna be dead. Biggest predators in my area are 'coons, coyotes and hawks. And snakes. LOTS of big ol' black snakes. There is a pond out back that attracts them. My cat keeps them at bay, for the most part, but I fear for my Mallard's nest (assuming they return in the spring. Assuming we HAVE a spring)

Back
Top Bottom