WHAT AM I?!

Am I reading correctly that 'hatchery quality' means less good?
Just in the sense that they arent show quality birds but are still solid or more equivilent to like a puppy mill where its mass production and unethical inbreeding and health problems?

Mostly just not show quality.

Health and inbreeding are usually fine (possible exception for very rare breeds, but those will be inbred no matter who you get them from.)

Hatcheries tend to have enough birds that inbreeding isn't a big problem.

Hatchery birds are usually better layers than the same breed from a breeder (exceptions exist, of course.)

Points where hatchery birds are not as good:

They are often the wrong size, with the small breeds and the big breeds tending more toward middle sized.

They sometimes have wrong combs, or wrong color of earlobes or feet, or lack some special feature they should have (hen feathering, beard, feathered feet, extra toe, etc).

They often have coloring that is a bit wrong, usually looking like a sloppy version of what they are supposed to be.

If they are supposed to be dual-purpose or meat-type, they usually do not grow as big or as fast as they are supposed to. (Exception: Cornish Cross from a hatchery will grow faster and bigger than any other chicken you can get. They really are the best for that.)

Personally, I tend to like hatchery-quality chickens. I don't show chickens, I want eggs more than meat, and I like being able to order a bunch of different breeds that will look close to "right."

Mostly just not show quality.

Health and inbreeding are usually fine (possible exception for very rare breeds, but those will be inbred no matter who you get them from.)

Hatcheries tend to have enough birds that inbreeding isn't a big problem.

Hatchery birds are usually better layers than the same breed from a breeder (exceptions exist, of course.)

Points where hatchery birds are not as good:

They are often the wrong size, with the small breeds and the big breeds tending more toward middle sized.

They sometimes have wrong combs, or wrong color of earlobes or feet, or lack some special feature they should have (hen feathering, beard, feathered feet, extra toe, etc).

They often have coloring that is a bit wrong, usually looking like a sloppy version of what they are supposed to be.

If they are supposed to be dual-purpose or meat-type, they usually do not grow as big or as fast as they are supposed to. (Exception: Cornish Cross from a hatchery will grow faster and bigger than any other chicken you can get. They really are the best for that.)

Personally, I tend to like hatchery-quality chickens. I don't show chickens, I want eggs more than meat, and I like being able to order a bunch of different breeds that will look close to "right."
Thank you for the detailed response!
I am considering ordering hatchery birds - McMurray I think - this spring.

I think it's just hormones kicking in. I don't think it would have anything with him not being bred to show quality.
He started this in like late September... and now he’s getting worse in a sense that he’s now starting to flog my fiancée and brother which he never did!! Will it get better or no?!

I hope this is allowed.. But I saw someone on here their name is Sebright Mix.,post(on another forum) a pic of their rooster they received from Tractor supply They said was a mix it looks identical to mine. I attached a photo. Wondering if anyone else sees the resemblance?!

Attachments

• 0843620C-36AC-42F7-AB8E-638CA5E86EDE.png
    0843620C-36AC-42F7-AB8E-638CA5E86EDE.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
He started this in like late September... and now he’s getting worse in a sense that he’s now starting to flog my fiancée and brother which he never did!! Will it get better or no?!
It depends. He might get better as he gets older, or he might get worse. Roosters can be really sweet, but once those hormones kick in they can be totally different. You, your fiancée, and brother need to let him know you are above him in the pecking order and he does not have control over you.

It depends. He might get better as he gets older, or he might get worse. Roosters can be really sweet, but once those hormones kick in they can be totally different. You, your fiancée, and brother need to let him know you are above him in the pecking order and he does not have control over you.
We continue to do so since he showed first signs of aggression. He will flog my kids sometimes but they pay him no mind. I’ve read if they charge you to turn towards them and stomp a couple steps towards them with out breaking eye contact and to repeat steps as necessary. There are so many conflicting methods out there it’s hard to decide what’s best. We had a hawk attack so I gave him the benefit of doubt and thought with good reason he’s on edge and as time passes it’ll get easier.. not the case.

Back
Top Bottom