What am I?

OK. In this case I can do no further than a guess that this is a barnyard mix. Maybe recessive white has a play in this. I'm not one to talk about genetics though, so let's tag some experts to help with your garden fairy. @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome @pipdzipdnreadytogo
Maybe just a lucky hatch. I am anxious to see her grown up. I hope she stays so pretty!

I'm a little confused by some of the posts, is she out of your birds or from someone else's flock? What color egg did she hatch from? Is she supposed to be purebred or is it possible she's a mix? What color are her legs and are they feathered at all? Can you get a clear shot that shows her comb? I do think she's a pullet at that age, pending a clearer comb picture, but I'd need more details to say anything else about her.

From what I can understand she could
I'm a little confused by some of the posts, is she out of your birds or from someone else's flock? What color egg did she hatch from? Is she supposed to be purebred or is it possible she's a mix? What color are her legs and are they feathered at all? Can you get a clear shot that shows her comb? I do think she's a pullet at that age, pending a clearer comb picture, but I'd need more details to say anything else about her.

either be from a bought egg, or an egg from the flock. The legs look pink to me

I almost wonder if she came from my white frizzle hen. But my Roo is a Bantam Speckled Sussex. He is black with spots all over him. Handsome feller, but I can't see her turning out so fluffy and pure white! If it was hers, she sneaked it in on me!
That is a possibility. It is fairly common to get white chicks if one parent is white and the other is colored. White chickens are some of the hardest to figure out, because there are several different combinations of genes that can make a chicken look white, so "white" behaves very differently in some crosses than others.

But of course it could also be from the eggs you bought.

And since you don't know for sure whether to look for the parents in your flock, or the flock of the person who sold you eggs, I am not sure this mystery will ever be completely solved.

You can watch for some things a the chick grows up, to make a few more accurate guesses. Feathered feet usually mean at least one parent had feathered feet. A single comb can come from parents of almost any comb type, but a non-single comb means at least one parent with a non-single comb. If she grows up to lay blue or green eggs, that would mean at least one parent had the blue egg gene.

I don't know if my hen laid it or not. I bought a dozen (purebreed) eggs from a breeder. As I mentioned, she may have laid an eggs without me knowing. And, As I mentioned, there were assorted breeds, so I couldn't tell you from which color egg she hatched. Legs are yellow, not much of a yellow comb

The comb picture request was partially also so that I could see what type of comb she has for breed identification. It looks like she has a single comb, but the closer shot of her is blurry and I can't tell for sure if that's correct or if she maybe has a pea comb.

I take it they were hatched under a broody if stray eggs may have been added to the clutch. Did you see what color the shells left from the chicks hatching were? What egg colors were in the assortment? That would at least narrow down the possibilities some even if we don't know which specific egg she came from.

Yellow legs would rule out White Orpington as I had been suspecting initially, as they have pinkish legs... What about foot feathering, has she got any of that?

Apologies for all the questions, but it's hard to positively identify the breed or mix without clear pictures or more information. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom