What am I?

firstnite.jpg

This was some of mine a few years back.

This is the one that we know was a black sex link
Spring4-1.jpg

You can see she is much redder...her legs are a different color and she looked completely different when they were both chicks. The mystery chick was black with white on it's face, and had a white/yellowish belly and chest...The sex link was completely black with some red in it's face. I believe the hatchery that sells this certain breed carries only one kind of black sex link, is it possible for there to be so much variation? I was worried I'd picked up a sex link roo, but he had no white dot on his head and has no barring (I thought all black sex link roos ended up with barring).

Does anyone have a clue about the white chick on the first page?

(Please excuse the mess and bad pictures...these were taken in my basement which is currently housing 7 chicks, 2 ducks, a foster cat and her litter of kittens. Aside from litter changes, food and fresh water...the cleanliness is pretty low on my priority list.)

Your white chick doesn't look like a cornish cross to me. She does look kind of like my white leghorns did. Were leghorns and cornish crosses the only type of white chickens your hatchery was selling? If you could take a picture of her alongside one of the other chicks (for size comparison) that might help us to identify her.

As far as the hatchery selling only 1 type of black sexlink;
Since the chicks are a mixed breed, they will not be exactly the same. I also bought all our black star chicks from the same hatchery and there is still a huge variation. They all have the same body type and look about them, but the coloring differences are large.

I went out this morning and took pictures of my three remaining 17 week old black sex-links (sold the rest because we had too many).

This pullet, Amber, has a lot of gold on her chest and neck:

blackstars-17weeks002.jpg

This one has some brown on her neck and brown scattered lightly around her body feathers (the chicken in the background is not a black star):

blackstars-17weeks001.jpg

This one, Ebony, is almost all black - she has a little brown on her chest.

blackstars-17weeks003.jpg

All 3 of them together with a frontal view of Amber.

blackstars-17weeks006.jpg

Besides the brown in your chick's chest, I can also see a little brown on her wingtips - I think she is a black star, just like mine. We love ours - they are friendly - have always let us pick them right up without trying to run. They are not laying yet, but should be excellent layers. They are also pretty birds and easy to distinguish from each other because of the unique variations in color.

I got chicks with Tubby at TSC that day, so ours should be the same breeds. Here is a picture of one of my black chicks:

512920688_4iGJg-M.jpg

There might be a very slight hint of brown on the side of this chick, but I didn't notice it until I saw you all mention it and stared really hard at the picture! Both of my black chicks are identical.

This is one of my black sex link chicks...

512922986_q7Y75-M.jpg

I don't think they look much like the black chicks!

Back
Top Bottom