What am I?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NanaKat, Apr 27, 2009.

1. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Posting these photos because my FIDmom wants to know what breed or cross I might be. [​IMG][​IMG]

I was sold to her at Atwoods as an Australorp chick along with 13 others just like me. We fooled everyone because we looked just like Australorp chicks are supposed to look...even down to the black legs. I'm 9 weeks old now and that's a NHR behind me. See my foot...it's still got that black skin thing going on.

I'm definitely not an Australorp!! Any ideas?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The second pic looks like one of my EE's but not exactly. [​IMG]

3. NanaKat

There are several EEs in our flock and they have pretty green legs and ear muffs.
    I don't have green legs and neither do my sisters...at least we all look like girls.

4. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    what kind of comb does she have? if she has a single comb maybe she is a black sex link?

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think they both look like EE's. I've got a chick that I am expecting to turn out like your top one and my other chick is going to be much lighter and closer to your second one.

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I'm not sure of the breed/cross, but she is very pretty! [​IMG]

7. NanaKat

cwhit590: All of us have a single comb!! Do sex links have pretty gold brown feathers on their head and chest? We also have irridescent black feathers that glisten green and purple in bright sunlight.

Aidenbaby: We are definitely not EEs. Mom has a rooster and several EE hens and we don't share any of their characteristics. None of us have green legs or any of the muff or beard feathers on our head.

vtsarahb: Thank you. Each of us have subtle color differences in our feathering on our head, neck, breast and wings. Our fidma thinks we are pretty too. She tells us every day.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Black sex-link hens [​IMG]

And yes, they can have as little as a few gold feathers on the chest, to as much as having an almost solid gold head and chest.
    I also have a couple who have more orange-gold looking feathers than the yellow-ish ones as yours have. One of my hens looks like a clone of yours too [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Sexlinks pullets. And that red chicken sure looks like a RIR rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by