What am I.....

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by jrsqlc, Oct 25, 2010.

1. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I just picked him up last night. This guy is huge compared to the rest of my peas, about 4-6 inches taller than my pied in this pic.

Anyway i dont know what he is.
    He looks like my blues, but has the darker shoulders like my blackshoulder. But even then there not really black, they shimmers purple and green, and he still has some barring.

Any Help?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks like a spaulding. Is it me or does he have a spot of yellow on his face?

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes spalding. The wing pattern is normal for spaldings, it's basically a middle ground between the India Blue and Green wing patterns.

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    That is a spaulding. He is a really pretty spaulding too! Yes the facial patern and the mix of barring and blackshoulder wing patern gives it away plus the tight crest. Have fun with him he is just beautiful I hope you get pretty chicks from him.[​IMG]

5. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Any way to tell about how much spaulding from his looks?

I have NO way to know his past, parents, blood, nothing.

Quote:Yes he does, it is more yellow than white. What does that mean?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I am not sure if it would be that easy to tell how much spaulding he is from just looking at him, so a more accurate way would to do a blood test if you really want to know but I would say he isn't a very low % spaulding but not really high ither...Not sure exactly though.[​IMG]

7. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

The yellow means that he has green blood. Heres a pic of my java with the yellow mark on his face..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thats what a spalding is, a cross between Java green and Blue India or their mutations.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Yes he does, it is more yellow than white. What does that mean?

he's very low spaudling, I'd say 25% tops, the yellow in the face also comes from being fed corn. Heard Deerman say that alot, never seen it myself til recently, some of mine are turning yellow, considerably too on one, from the winter corn I have been adding to their diet this year, so yellow face doesnt mean much if the diet is unknown.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  10. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Really corn will do that? Hmm because sometimes I have noticed my birds faces will get a yellow tint and none of my birds are spaulding...Does that happen with pure India Blues?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by