What am I?

Scout Finch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
I purchased 4 chicks from TSC this past March. All four were supposed to be pullets. Two were barred rocks, and two were buff orpingtons. Well, one of my barred rocks is most definitely a rooster! But I'm quite puzzled about this one. S/he doesn't look like a buff orp (judging it against the other one and pics I see) but it also doesn't look like anything else I can find! I'm also curious if it's going to turn out to be a rooster. Ideas?!? Included another pic with the buff orp I got out of the same bin!

She might be a cross with a New Hampshire Red. My NHR had similar coloring, a bit darker, and the dark tail. Buffs generally have whitish legs.

I, on the other hand, thought I was purchasing a NHR and got a Red Comet. Oh well, that the way of hatchery bins at the farm store.
Mary

Thanks for the suggestion! I googled a New Hampshire Red and it certainly is a possibility! My chicken even has the little black speckles along the back of her neck like some I saw in a picture. Additional question: if I got them from a feed store, I assume they came from a hatchery...so what are the odds of a mixed breed chicken coming from a hatchery? She doesn't look as dark to me as many of the pictures I saw of NH Reds, but everything else fit pretty well, down to the black on her tail feathers.

I'm not thinking its possible to a mixed breed from a hatchery just because they have separate barns/pens for separate breeds, however their breeding stock is usually not the best quality so you get "purebred" birds that don't meet the Standard of Perfection. Your Hamp is a good example, with her being lighter colored than the SOP and a more streamline body style than a big square bodied show quality New Hampshire.

Back
Top Bottom