What am I???

suliah

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Muskegon, MI
OK so this rooster just showed up at my house in December. He hung around every day for a week, and I finally let him join my coop. He has been happy with my hens (he was the only roo for a while, now he is clearly the dominant).

I'd like to hatch some eggs sometime, but I've been super confused as to what he is!

Barred rock? Dominique? Cuckoo Marans? Or is he just a weird barnyard mix himself?

To me he looks more cuckoo than barred, but that doesn't mean much.
His comb is weird, almost like a cross between a pea and a single. Is that possible? It's clearly single, but it's fat and stiff and doesn't have the points of a normal comb.

These are the best pics I could get, and it's inside the coop so kinda dark. He does have a weird yellow/tan color that bleeds through on some of his white spots, when I first found him it looked like he'd been peed on or something. But no, it's just the color of them.

Legs are yellow, not white.
He's BIG, way bigger than anyone else I have.

Ideas? Guesses? Either way I'm keeping him, just curious what genes I'm passing on.

I'd never even considered a black sex link... Huh, interesting!

I was hoping Marans, to pass on that dark egg gene. Guess not though. the yellow legs kinda knock that out.

Thanks all!

I agree that he is probably a black sex link rooster. I just wanted to answer your question about his odd comb. It looks to me like he had a normal single comb and then lost the little points on it to frostbite during his time on his own.

I'd never even considered a black sex link... Huh, interesting!

I was hoping Marans, to pass on that dark egg gene. Guess not though. the yellow legs kinda knock that out.

Thanks all!
You're welcome; and you're right about the yellow legs. My reason for thinking he may be a Black Sex Link is that when it look at him (granted the lighting is rather dark in the pic), he appears to have traces of rust, copper, or reddish color in his barred feathering, particularly in the wing, saddle, and neck area. Am I seeing that correctly?

Back
Top Bottom