What antibiotic for Salpingitis?

Attachments

• EB9C619F-3153-4A5B-B028-B35F2A2AD59A.jpeg
    EB9C619F-3153-4A5B-B028-B35F2A2AD59A.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 23
Wow, that is huge! Have you started her on the Baytril? :fl
I sure did. Today is day three however I’ve only given her 0.2/1x per day. I somehow missed the 2x day. I will make the change tomorrow for the next two days. I’m heartbroken. She is only 2 and my favorite. Other than the lash she is acting completely fine. I’m hoping she’s young and strong enough to fight it off. Have you had good experience with recovery is is this her death sentence ? 😢

I sure did. Today is day three however I’ve only given her 0.2/1x per day. I somehow missed the 2x day. I will make the change tomorrow for the next two days. I’m heartbroken. She is only 2 and my favorite. Other than the lash she is acting completely fine. I’m hoping she’s young and strong enough to fight it off. Have you had good experience with recovery is is this her death sentence ? 😢
Was the lash egg soft or hard? Soft would mean earlier on in the infection and better chance of survival despite how nasty it can look. What are you currently doing for her aside from the antibiotics?
With mine, I was giving daily warm epsom salt soaks, electrolytes and garlic powder mixed with treats - do note, this was while waiting out my vet appointment that was a week away.Her activity levels were still high, so I left her out with the flock since it's not contagious.
Somehow, she managed to clear the infection herself without antibiotics (she was a pullet less than a month into laying when this happened). I came away from the vet with liquid calcium and anti-inflamatories only in the end and back to normal laying within 1 week of that visit.

Was the lash egg soft or hard? Soft would mean earlier on in the infection and better chance of survival despite how nasty it can look. What are you currently doing for her aside from the antibiotics?
With mine, I was giving daily warm epsom salt soaks, electrolytes and garlic powder mixed with treats - do note, this was while waiting out my vet appointment that was a week away.Her activity levels were still high, so I left her out with the flock since it's not contagious.
Somehow, she managed to clear the infection herself without antibiotics (she was a pullet less than a month into laying when this happened). I came away from the vet with liquid calcium and anti-inflamatories only in the end and back to normal laying within 1 week of that visit.
It did seem soft to me but it’s my first time seeing one so I have nothing to compare to. In addition to the antibiotic I have been adding electrolytes and probiotics in their water and wetting food with this water and 2 drops oregano essential oil. I haven’t tried to soak her though. I do have some anti inflammatory med left over from another girl that had a bad case of bumble foot. Do you think I should add that well? I’ve tried three different area vets (in the past) and I never get a good feeling that they really know what to do. I wasn’t going to bother with another $500 bill and no resolution. She is the sweetest lavender Orpington. She is still with the flock and happy as can be.

It did seem soft to me but it’s my first time seeing one so I have nothing to compare to. In addition to the antibiotic I have been adding electrolytes and probiotics in their water and wetting food with this water and 2 drops oregano essential oil. I haven’t tried to soak her though. I do have some anti inflammatory med left over from another girl that had a bad case of bumble foot. Do you think I should add that well? I’ve tried three different area vets (in the past) and I never get a good feeling that they really know what to do. I wasn’t going to bother with another $500 bill and no resolution. She is the sweetest lavender Orpington. She is still with the flock and happy as can be.
The epsom soak is essentially to help reduce inflammation and relax her muscles- just like in people, swelling can get in the way of healing sometimes as well. With the soak, it needs to be relatively warm and you will likely need to push her down into the water a bit as they do prefer to stand - at least till it covers her vent. A bit of light panting is ok, but cool the water if she's panting heavily. Let her soak for a good while - aside from the initial 'getting put in the bath', they tend to calm down quite quickly.
Dry with a blowdryer on low and be ready for this to take a while. Afterwards, you can bundle her up into a towel on your lap.
She might be running a fever, which you can check rectally with a thermometer - normal temp is: 105-107 degrees.
To my knowledge, anti-inflammatories won't interfere with any other medications, but it does lose its potency over time - so keep this in mind if it's been in storage for a while.

Back
Top Bottom