What antibiotic for Salpingitis?

Pics

Nina Bee

Chirping
Aug 27, 2016
What antibiotic for Salpingitis? I need to call my vet and request something. I just read it's illegal to give Baytril to poultry in the U.S. Is that true? Also is there a blood test to help diagnose Salpingitis? I'm afraid my vet will want to do blood work before prescribing something. I just wonder if this will show up in a blood test. Please help. I love my chicken so very much and really want to save her.

I don't know where you are located, but here it is illegal for a vet to prescribe medications without examining the animal. That is for the safety of the animal, BTW. You can always decline recommended testing. Good luck with your hen.

Baytril is not illegal, it's just not labeled for poultry anymore but some vets still prescribed it.

What symptoms is your bird showing and for how long?

She was acting ill over the weekend. Not active, lethargic. She was pooping normal and eating, but not drinking. Her vent was pulsating like mad and became swollen by the end of the weekend. She passed her first lash egg on Monday, but was still lethargic and pulsating a bit more than normal. Took her to the vet on Monday and she gave me an anti-inflammatory. She passed the second lash egg late Tuesday night and now she's acting completely normal. Digging for bugs, running to me when I call her. She's eating like a pig and finally drinking normal amounts of water. I'm just concerned because everyone is saying she must have an infection if she's laying lash eggs.

She was acting ill over the weekend. Not active, lethargic. She was pooping normal and eating, but not drinking. Her vent was pulsating like mad and became swollen by the end of the weekend. She passed her first lash egg on Monday, but was still lethargic and pulsating a bit more than normal. Took her to the vet on Monday and she gave me an anti-inflammatory. She passed the second lash egg late Tuesday night and now she's acting completely normal. Digging for bugs, running to me when I call her. She's eating like a pig and finally drinking normal amounts of water. I'm just concerned because everyone is saying she must have an infection if she's laying lash eggs.
Did you get any pictures of what she passed?

Lash eggs are usually a sign of infection.
What anti-inflammatory did the vet give her?
Salpingitis in Chickens - PoultryDVM

I don't know where you are located, but here it is illegal for a vet to prescribe medications without examining the animal. That is for the safety of the animal, BTW. You can always decline recommended testing. Good luck with your hen.
I had her (barely) examined on Monday. The vet was clueless. Had no idea what a lash egg was. I suggested antibiotics, but she said to wait because they can be harsh on the stomach. I think if I called her and insisted on one, she might give it. Just want to give her an idea on what to prescribe since she had zero knowledge about lash eggs. Also, I'd be willing to get lab work done, but only if Salpingitis can be detected. Otherwise it will be a waste of money. I've already paid them $130 and didn't get much out of the visit.

Did you get any pictures of what she passed?

Lash eggs are usually a sign of infection.
What anti-inflammatory did the vet give her?
Salpingitis in Chickens - PoultryDVM

.5 ML Metacam

This pictured on an appetizer plate. The egg was pretty small. Similar to a candy egg you see around Easter.

1526158-5dbb3c42006e039b41eb48825a5b657e.jpg 1526159-493481c26cf5ab2161feda211594c91d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom