What are Bantams good for?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Eggwell, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Eggwell

Eggwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    Last spring I bought some Buff Orpingtons at the flea market that I was told were regular baby chicks. After about 4 weeks they developed cones and began laying eggs, and they are the sweetest best laying hens and rooster I have ever owned, but I was devastated to find they grew no more. They are little bantams. They lay the cutest little eggs, and they are great layers, but what can anyone do with these tiny chickens? Any suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They taste just like the bigger birds and make great lawn ornaments. Most bantam breeds are for 'pretty'.

3. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    Ya can keep them and eat their eggs. I only own bantms and wont/dont eat big chicken eggs anymore. I like the taste more of the lil ones.
    If ya want bigger breed...
    Trade them
    Sell them
    Or
    If sellin eggs, eat the bantam eggs and sell the big breed eggs.
    otherwise bantams are super cute and friendly! Make great pets!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Instead of using one egg for breakfast, use two, or for recipes, use more eggs, but how many depends on the size; some bantams lay larger/smaller eggs than others. I will usually use 3 bantam eggs for 2 largefowl eggs or 4 for 3, but if I were using smaller bantam eggs, I might double the number.

5. Eggwell

Eggwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    I've gotten too attached to the friendly little sweeties to sell or trade. I get so many eggs from them, I guess I should get use to the ideal and do as you suggest and just use them for cooking instead of my larger ones. Thank you [​IMG]

6. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    Send them to me!!!
    I have a Bantam Cochin Frizzle I want to breed, but only have a LF roo.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by