What are her chances??

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
We thought we lost one of our EE's to our dog last night. Found a lot of feathers and the whole 'ring' of neck feathers. We couldn't find the EE herself. We thought she was a goner. This afternoon my son informed me that 'Hershey's with Almonds' was in the coop and laid an egg (yes she did!) upon inspecting her this evening the whole back side of her neck is exposed (under her head feathers) Right now we put her in a cat carrier and put it in the coop because I was concerned the other hens may peck at her before I get out there in the morning. Reality there does not seem much I can do for the injury itself (too big of a gap) will it heal shut? Any suggestions? I still can't believe she laid an egg after going through all that!

I have a BSL that got caught on fence wire and peeled the back half of her neck.

I cleaned the wound with saline solution, put neosporin on it, then reattached the biggest portions of skin with needle & thread and crossed my fingers.

I was amazed at how quickly she healed, and never stopped laying.

That was last year around this time. She will never grow feathers there, but the way other feathers fill in its hard to tell she had a problem.

I have a BC Marans cockerel that skinned the ENTIRE back of his neck by sticking his head through the fence. I didn't see it for 3 days and by the time I realized it, it was already scabbed over. Since he was acting normal and it wasn't infected, I didn't bother doing anything with it. It's been about 2 weeks now and he still has a bald spot there, but the feathers on top cover it and most of the scab has fallen away. Just give her time!

rooster-red, thanks for a positive response. My husband says it is too large of a gap because a lot of the skin is missing. he doesn't think it can be sewn shut. I myself got nauseous looking at it.
sickbyc.gif
We really do hope she makes it.
fl.gif
Unfortunately she is at the bottom of the pecking order. I worry about the others picking on her. Can they 'smell' an injury and start pecking at it? It can't be seen unless you brush back her head feathers. She is one of my DD's favorite.

My cockerel lived with all the other grown chickens while he was healing and I never had any problems with the others picking on him. I guess it just depends on your chickens.

Thanks KellyHM for another postive response, did you have to keep the cockerel away from the others? How about you rooster-red?

Back
Top Bottom