What are Marans like?

He's very handsome!
smile.png

I call him my "hunnert dollar bird" because I bought a batch of eggs off eggbid and he is the only one that hatched. I totally lucked out that it was a roo. Most people would have been bummed if all they got was one roo, but if I had to pick only one bird to come out, he would be it! He is everything I ever hoped for, even better!

lau.gif
ep.gif
:aww
barnie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif
hey, my motto is "You can't win if you don't play." Sometimes you hit a homer, sometimes you strike out. If all you try is feedstore chicks, all you get is .... the same as everyone else.... I like to go for the oddball and unusual, which is NOT what they sell at feedstores.

Last edited:
i would like a large fowl single comb somthting lavender to try to make lavender marans. No one is sharing right now. I could buy two splits for a couple hundred dollars.... wait a year and cross my fingers, no thanks. don't want them that bad. Someone, anyone? I'd take a one eyed roo, or one with bad frostbit beak and a "fowl" temper... anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

W hatched out maran eggs this past Spring. Some gorgeous birds! We got one wheaten, one blue, one cuckoo, a black copper, and one I can't remember off the top of my head.
wink.png
lol Can't believe one of each hatched though! lol

I am crazy about my Marans. We have Copper Blacks and had Cuckoos, which I sold. They are calm and sweet. Our roos are really mellow. I love them!!!!!!!!!!!! They grow very fast, eat alot and are simply wonderful. Ours aren't laying yet, just a few more months, but we can't wait.

Go to the Marans Chicken Club on yahoo groups and join. There is a breeder data base there.

Good luck!

My copper blacks are wild as jack-rabbits! I hardly ever see them for more than a few seconds at a time.
tongue.png

The cuckoos that I have are calmer and tamer, but they are hatchery birds, and I do NOT recommend going that route. Out of 8 birds, two of ours had leg deformities, and I've heard the same from others who got hatchery Marans.

Back
Top Bottom