What are my ducklings doing?

DucklingMama95

Hatching
Apr 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
So yesterday I asked some opinions on what "breed" of ducklings everyone thinks I have. Well, I have been spending A LOT of time with them because I want them to be very tame! I'm very new to raising ducklings so sorry if I'm uneducated, hehe. Anyway, they enjoy laying on my chest and cuddling under my chin (for warmth I presume). So they do this thing where they "nibble" on me with their bills! I am wondering why they are doing this? Is it because they don't like me? Is it because they are scared? Are the "checking me out" to figure out "what I am"? Or is this a duckling "bite"? I really want them to not be afraid of me and bond with me. So I am trying to hold them and snuggle with them as often as possible. So, what is this pecking all about?! Thanks for any advice! :D

I have 2 baby pekins and they do the same thing. Since they seemed to eat everything I figured they are trying to figure out which part is tastiest!! Ha ha these are my first ones also and they are funny!!!!

Ducklings and full grown ducks nibble you for a few different reasons. They might be looking for food and are tasting things to try and find some. They may want your attention, when mine want it they bite my pant leg and pull it. Or they may be grooming you because they like you. Unless they lower their heads and making a kind of hissing sound the nibbling isn't anything aggressive, it sounds like they've bonded with you and are just telling you they love you!

Ducklings will groom each other as part of their social behavior so they are likely trying to groom you too.
wink.png
Do you have a Mallard duck or a Roan? Its is your profile picture, if you are wondering why I am asking.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom