What are Pedigrees?

Can someone explain to me what pedigrees are? How do they work? Can i have them for roller pigeons?

A pedigree is the 'family tree' of a given bird. If you keep good records of your breeding pairs you can create pedigrees for your birds. Usually a twenty dollar bird does not come with a pedigree but a 2000 dollar bird probably will. That is because the pedigree will show the champion/winning birds in the family tree. Because pigeons sometimes cheat on their mates, a pedigree may not always be correct. A link below to some sample pedigrees...
https://www.google.com/search?q=pig...QEIOTAB&biw=1280&bih=694#imgrc=pPKWTJqvtLsdqM:

and that's pretty much all I've learned about pedigrees.:lol:

Are there pedigrees for roller pigeons? Say i have a bird that wins a roller competition would i be able to get a pedigree going or that sounds stupid to do for a roller pigeon?

I think if you are serious about breeding and keep good records then you will be able to identify all the son and daughters of a given cock or hen and that is obviously important. With those records you should be able to generate a pedigree when you desire one.

Are there pedigrees for roller pigeons? Say i have a bird that wins a roller competition would i be able to get a pedigree going or that sounds stupid to do for a roller pigeon?
It doesn't sound stupid. If you have a winner, you definitely want to keep track of it's offspring. Is your bird banded? You may not know this bird's background - but going forward the pedigree can show sons, grands great grands etc.

So while your winning bird might not have his own pedigree, he will appear in and add value to the pedigree of his offspring.

Last edited:
Oh okay! Thanks for all the information. As of right now i just keep track of the breeders and write down all the bands. My note book looks almost like a pedigree going back to my youngsters parents and their grandparents. Hopefully ill breed a winning kit eventually!

Back
Top Bottom