AccidentalQuailKeeper

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2021
Canada
Hello! If you would to skip over the additional information my question is what are they veterinary costs for birds like in Ontario, Canada? I plan on taking her to a vet that has probably only ever dealt with birds like budgies/parakeets as I don't think I have many other options. I'm looking for fees on specific procedures like an X-ray (leg joint), a blood test and antimicrobial medication.

Background Info:

I have a jumbo Coturnix quail (Bonnie) who is around one year old. Over the past few months, she has had many difficulties with her leg which I have tried to deal with using basic first aid care and info I found on forums. At first, I thought she had twisted/ broken her leg so I splinted it for a week or so and it didn't seem to work. I then noticed her toe appeared broken as It was rolling under her two other toes slanting her entire foot. I tried everything to correct both her foot and leg (tape on cardboard, bandages, a bottle cap for easier mobility). In hindsight, I'm sure my amateur meddling made her situation much worse. Although I think I had been treating the wrong thing the whole time as no matter what I've done her ankle joint just keeps swelling. It has swollen to the point that she cannot bend her leg properly. After lots of research is have narrowed it down to either Infectious Synovitis or Viral Arthritis. I have done a joint aspiration on her (as was recommended) and the synovial tissue that came out was a milky substance, probably meaning infection. But even after wrapping it every time it just seemed to swell up the same each time. She is eating and pooping fine now although her mobility is severely affected, right now I have just been trying to manage her pain.

I didn't plan to take her to the vet as I didn't think I could afford it nor did I want to take her for something that might heal itself overnight (in case I was being paranoid) but if it truly is something like an infection I do not have access to the medicine to treat it and I do not want to lose her due to my negligence as I have grown very attached to her.

Anyone who has similar experience/ sources about this, sharing would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry your Quail is not doing well.

You would need to contact the vet's office and ask about pricing.
Vet care is usually not cheap.
If you think that she's has Infectious Synovitis, then it may be better to put her down, this disease is contagious, there is no cure and it can spread to your other Quail.

exrays in Guelph are about 350.00
drugs are a little different, it seems you may have a strain of ecoli. I would try enroflaxin or dokamox, Also if it is cold out your birds need proper blood circulation. For generations we have used cayan powder on feed once a month for good circulation..
Iodine in the water sundays 1 tsp per gallon and garlic water mondays.

it's a very large province, what part of Ontario are you in? Prices and access will vary widely. It's very hard to find avian vets outside of major urban centres I've found.

Hopefully the OP has been able to contact a vet can gather pricing information, this thread is a year old:)
So update, I never did end up contacting a vet. The price was way too much and I had no poultry vets in my area. I don't remember exactly what I did as this was almost 2 years ago but she ended up okay, just had a splayed leg for the rest of her life which hardly seemed to bother her, I ended up building a whole raised coop that was one level only, which allowed her to access everything she needed. Unfortunately she ended up passing away late last year (She was about 1 1/2 years old I think?) because she somehow managed to dig her way under the waterer, get stuck and die.... She never had any more issues after this though and I'd like to think I gave her my best o7

R.I.P Bonnie

So update, I never did end up contacting a vet. The price was way too much and I had no poultry vets in my area. I don't remember exactly what I did as this was almost 2 years ago but she ended up okay, just had a splayed leg for the rest of her life which hardly seemed to bother her, I ended up building a whole raised coop that was one level only, which allowed her to access everything she needed. Unfortunately she ended up passing away late last year (She was about 1 1/2 years old I think?) because she somehow managed to dig her way under the waterer, get stuck and die.... She never had any more issues after this though and I'd like to think I gave her my best o7

R.I.P Bonnie
Thank you for the update.

I'm sorry to hear about Bonnie.

Back
Top Bottom