what are sighns of overcrowding?

2 weeks old. 6 chicks.

I built the Garden Coop, so the henhouse I'm keeping them in is about 3'wide x 6' deep x 4' tall.
I didn't put the nesting boxes in yet, so right now all that's in the henhouse is the chicks, a feeder, a nipple watering system, a heat lamp, and some branches for them to perch on.

I guess that gives them about 2 cubic feet per bird, which seems a bit low. Unfortunately there's no way for me to expand the space without just letting them out into the run.

I would say the space is good but at 2 weeks they still need heat assistance! 80 degrees then 75 degrees then week 5 70 degrees and week 6 they should be almost if not completely feathered out if not wait another week and then cut the heat and let go without it and give them plenty of air by opening the sleeper vents

Thanks for the reply! We've still got a heat lamp on in the henhouse 24/7, but may need to set it to a timer to shut it off during the hottest part of the day. We ended up with temps over 110 degrees in the afternoon recently and that seems too hot for our little girls.

Quote:
Do you have a desk lamp or a lamp that will clip onto the side of the brooder? Use that with a higher watt light bulb. Or maybe you can borrow a brooder lamp one from somebody??
hmm.png

Quote:
Do you have a desk lamp or a lamp that will clip onto the side of the brooder? Use that with a higher watt light bulb. Or maybe you can borrow a brooder lamp one from somebody??
hmm.png

1) my brooder is a cardboard box with newspaper bedding- so its a fire hazard

2) the lamp i have isnt meant for that kind of use, im afraid it will catch on fire.

the only reason i am so scared of fire is i have wintessed several times electric things suddenly burst into flames due to being used incorrectly.... i dont want to roast my babies
sad.png

I have a big box like you see at the grocery store that melons and such are in. I asked the store manager if I can have them. I have three. I cut a piece of wire to fit over the top and put a brooder lamp or shop lamp with a bulb, (currently I have a 40 watt bulb) but I live in Florida and it has been in the 80 here during the day. I also tighten the screw for the clamp thats on the lamp and put it up and then put a sheet over the box. It works like a charm.

IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg

Last edited:
the lamp? its a pitiful lamp, isnt there a risk of it catching if i leave it on all the time? and my box is way bigger than that... will it cover the space i need?

If your box is larger, that is fine. You just need the lamp in one area so the chicks can go under it IF they want to. You don't have to heat the entire area. Put your hand at chick level under the lamp. Is it warm? Is it hot enough to start a fire? Keep your hand under it for a few minutes. Does it get hotter? Remember that boiling water is 212 degrees. Igniting a fire is hotter than that. If you can hold your hand at chick level without burning, it's not going to start a fire. Just make sure the lamp cannot FALL directly onto the bedding. It should always be suspended so it cannot actually touch anything flammable.

Back
Top Bottom