What are some cities in the United States that allow roosters residentially?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by recyclegecko17, Sep 10, 2013.

1. recyclegecko17

recyclegecko17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Hi everyone! I recently bought three baby “pullets” and one turned out to be a rooster. He is such a sweet little guy, and I am not going to give him away. However, where I live roosters are illegal. I have always planned to move after college, which I will be done with very soon. So, I was wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations about cities/counties that allow roosters. I know it sounds ridiculous to be thinking about moving so I can keep my rooster, but since I want to move anyway I thought I might as well keep places that allow roosters in mind. Thanks so much.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Very few large cities. There is a city in California that allows conjugal visits.
    There are about 100 cities in St. Louis county and at least 5 of them either specifically allow them or don't regulate at all.

3. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    More rural areas will tend to be more rooster friendly. In my town (Berlin CT) you need three acres to own any livestock, including chickens. Roosters are allowed here, but you must meet the 3+ acre rule, which we do.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Greenville County, SC has no restrictions on chickens. I kept my rooster because I like watching the dynamics of the flock with a rooster.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by