What are some good things to have in our run for silkies?

Jun 12, 2022
Southeastern Ohio- Perry county
I have 11 hens consisting of 9 standards and 2 silkies. They’re all in the same coop and run but my silkies have their own section so they are segregated to prevent bullying. I just have no idea what to do for my silkies in their run. They seem bored and other than a little perch for them they just walk around and squawk lol please help 😭

Mine have a strange liking of garden chairs, possibly due to all the levels they can get to. Also they love stinging nettles (and many other plants/weeds) so you can always try hanging some up for them to jump at - that’s always popular with all my chickens! Not sure why it’s only the silkies which like nettles so much.

I am not much help, I have pretty laid back dull chickens. They only thing they like to do is escape their pens and venture around the garden and dig holes 😳🤣 hope you get some good ideas.

Set up perches, put fruit slices in a string, or hang bottles of treats (e.g. sunflower seeds) with small holes. Not sure if this link to video will work, here is an example:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rvfKGxWXSdouh5ELA

examples of hanging weeds, treats:

Attachments

• ball_of_grass_chickens.jpg
    ball_of_grass_chickens.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • toy_for_chicken.jpeg
    toy_for_chicken.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
My Silkies spend hours digging in the run. They love slatted benches to stand on & lay under. & a small ladder propped against the run wall. They will not use regular perches no matter how low I put them. They also love their dust bath. They also enjoy when I put a small sheaf of hay & sprinkle treat seed in it for them to dig & search in.

Back
Top Bottom