What are the absolute BEST books for educating yourself on all this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly G, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I love to read - LOVE it! But I was wondering what books people have read about chickens (all aspects) that are really, really good?

I'm interested in books that aren't old and outdated in their information, aren't written at a 6th grade reading level, and have solid, helpful information. What books would you never do without?

Thanks for your time everyone!

2. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I read everything I could get my hands on, but Storey's guide to raising chickens is a good one. Check your local library, you might be surprised as to what they have. My library had 3 specific to chickens and a couple general livestock or poultry books. You could even go into the buy sell trade section here and see if anyone has one to sell cheap or give you for the price of shipping. Also Amazon.com generally has many books on the subject used and reasonable, sometimes.

3. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Storey's Guide, and I find that it is more oriented toward larger flocks (25 chickens vs. 4) and not very oriented toward free range, true backyard flocks. I checked several books out of my local library before deciding to buy Storey's. It seemed the most meaty as a home reference book. Some of the books were very fluffy.

Another (new) book is recommended by this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=89229
    I
    haven't read this book, but am interested based on the review.

I am also getting a fair bit out of my subscription to Backyard Poultry Magazine. Gail Damerow, who wrote the Storey's guide is a regular contributor.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I find Storey's to be very encompassing. Use it all the time.

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    storey and chickens in your backyard

and yes check the library first!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. Kelly G

Thanks, guys! This is exactly what I was looking for! I just went a bought both books off Amazon. We don't have a good local library, and I like to buy/keep good books (I'm building a nice library of books I love).

I am ALL ABOUT buying used books - and I'm all over Amazon, half.com, barnes&noble (used books).

Keep 'em coming - I got a $100 gift certificate for my birthday!

7. Kelly G

...and I got "Backyard Poultry" magazine for Christmas...but my family thinks I'm NUTS!

My Mom asked: "Where did you come from?!"

She spent her whole life getting as far away from the farm that she grew up on as she could!

Me? I spend as much time around all my animals as I can (horses, dogs, cats, saltwater aquariums, and now...chickens!). I have to say, I'm hooked on my chickens!

8. Kelly G

Bump.

Any more good books?

9. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

As you say you love to read, I am not sure if you are interested just in informational / how-to / reference books?

The Storey's guide was a good overall book to get started. THIS FORUM is completely invaluable. The books below sound like they are more stories, mixed, perhaps with some useful information.

Home to Roost , which was recommended in the thread I mentioned, is supposed to be something like a John McPhee. After reading more about Home to Roost via reviews on Amazon, I then decided to buy a used copy of Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance instead off abebooks.com. The latter book was recommended by one of the reviewers of Home to Roost.

Also in the genre of narratives, is That Quail Robert, a copy of which was in my family as I was growing up. I just reread it over Thanksgiving, and found it that much more interesting now that I am keeping chickens.

Edit punctuation.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  10. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I absolutely love the books of Gail Damerow. Also, I am always looking forward to my "Backyard Chickens" magazine subscription.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by