What are the best breeds of poultry for flavor?

AspiringHomesteader

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2018
Hi all,
If you had all the money in the world and wanted to create a dream homestead and had unlimited resources what would you choose solely based on quality, flavor, and taste for:

-Egg Laying Chicken:
- Meat Chicken:
- Duck:
- Goose:
- Turkey:
- Pig:
- Dairy Cow:
- Meat Cow:

Welcome to BYC!

-Egg Laying Chicken--Eggs don't taste noticeably different. I want a bunch of healthy mutt leghorns so I can have lots of eggs.
- Meat Chicken--Cornish Cross. Why spend more effort on meat than you have to?
- Duck--Jumbo Pekin. Again, why raise a smaller breed that's going to be tougher when you butcher because it took time to get it to weight?
- Goose--never met a goose I liked.
- Turkey--Never had a turkey. White, I suppose.
- Pig--Dad used to raise mutts. Never noticed a difference in taste between breeds.
- Dairy Cow--Jersey/Brown Swiss cross. Lots of butterfat, more milk than a pure Jersey.
- Meat Cow--Hereford. Gentle, better marbling than an Angus, and I like the looks.

Duck: If for eggs only I'd lean towards Runners because they have an extremely efficient conversion and make the most eggs with the least feed. Some breeds may lay more eggs or bigger eggs, but may take considerably more food. A Pekin takes almost double the food for the same output.

-Egg Laying Chicken: Chanteclers. Or White Leghorns, if I lived down south.
- Meat Chicken: Chanteclers. Or CX if I didin't go heritage. Chanties are real chooks though so they win in my world.
- Duck: Just one? Probably Welsh Harlequins
- Goose: Dunno, I don't keep them
- Turkey: Royal Palms, BBW if I only want meat
- Pig: Tasty ones---I am not a pig person
- Dairy Cow: Jersey
- Meat Cow: Wagyu

Last edited:
I was thinking
Egg layer - Black Copper Maran
Meat chicken - American Bresse
Duck - Muscovy
Goose - Large Dewlap Toulouse