what are the best quail for meat?

Coturnix seem to be the broilers of the quail realm. You can even get Jumbo Coturnix, which Sam recently cooked up. It's here in the meatbird section somewhere. He posted pictures.

-Kim

Persoanally I like the bobwhite strains. The butler and Jumbos are great meat birds. If I had to stick with the coturnix it would have to be the Texas A&M. They have more white meat than the rest. But like everything peoples taste are different.
pop.gif

I recommend either the Jumbo Coturnix or the AM White Coturnix depending on whether you prefer dark meat or white meat. Your AM Whites are all white meat, the Jumbo Coturnix are all dark meat. I prefer the dark meat but have a batch of AM Whites to play around with.

Quote:
I did not know that. That is a recently learned fact for me of my quail. That's good to know. Hubby will be glad, as he is a fan of white meat.

Thanks Omni!

-Kim

I raise a little of everything lol. I have Texas AMs which like mention before are little broilers! My strain seems to be broadbreasted. I have Jumbos as well as standard sized quail. And I raise bobwhites for meat as well. Coturnix mature fast so if you want plenty of meat in less wait time I'd go with a bunch of coturnix.

I got XLD1 coturnix right now and have the jumbo and jumbo/XLd mix eggs coming. Besides being great for eating(14oz) they are awesome layers too(around 300 eggs a year).

Back
Top Bottom