What are the best scratch and treats for 6 week old chicks?

JazzyLoo

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
Western Michigan
We are newbies and want to provide the most nutritious items for our 8 youngsters. We have 4 Buff Orpington and 4 Black Austrolops. We live in Northern Michigan and moved them to their forever coop about 2 weeks ago and that was a challenge. They are very spoiled and we would like to get some opinions on what is a good ground scratch for them to keep them entertained. Also, what kind of treats are good for them. They are our future egg providers as well as pets to our 9 year old daughter. We have found that they LOVE egg yolks and cooked rice. Is it ok for them to eat that on a daily basis? They look forward to something every morning when she lets them out into the run. They are currently eating Renew Poultry Non-GMO corn free, Coconut oil and Flax. We would like to keep them on the best foods possible to give us those golden eggs!!! Thanks in advance for any help. 5B841337-31BC-44C2-9B86-E5A6983EE040.jpeg

Hi, welcome to BYC. I am not familiar with this food, perhaps some others may comment on it. We feed a chick starter formula to our little ones, but an all-flock formula is also good. Go easy on the treats! Just as you would not feed too much cake and ice cream to your child, too many treats keeps your chicks from getting good nutrition from that good diet you are feeding. A few mealworms once or twice a day helps tame them, but be sure you also provide chick grit to help them digest it. Enjoy your flock!

You should feed them an abundance of healthy treats, but don't feed the same thing every day! Just like grilled chicken is incredibly healthy, if you are it every day, well, that's not very healthy. So, my chicks get veggies and herbs on a regular basis. They seem to like Sage, and Wild carrot the best, (just make sure it isn't poison Hemlock). But in moderation, nuts, most berries, eggs, and lots of other snacks are just fine! Good Luck!!!

Hi, welcome to BYC. I am not familiar with this food, perhaps some others may comment on it. We feed a chick starter formula to our little ones, but an all-flock formula is also good. Go easy on the treats! Just as you would not feed too much cake and ice cream to your child, too many treats keeps your chicks from getting good nutrition from that good diet you are feeding. A few mealworms once or twice a day helps tame them, but be sure you also provide chick grit to help them digest it. Enjoy your flock!
Thank you so much. But they are all scratching around in the run and there’s nothing for them!!! Just dirt and a little bit of weeds😊 Don’t they need more?

That is actually very good for them to eat grass, dirt, and weeds!!!! But to make it even better, plant herbs in the run, they are super healthy and actually result in better eggs. Herbs like mint are best, because it spreads like crazy. Other herbs, like oregano and sage may need stones around the edges, so the roots don't get scratched up.

We are newbies and want to provide the most nutritious items for our 8 youngsters. We have 4 Buff Orpington and 4 Black Austrolops. We live in Northern Michigan and moved them to their forever coop about 2 weeks ago and that was a challenge. They are very spoiled and we would like to get some opinions on what is a good ground scratch for them to keep them entertained. Also, what kind of treats are good for them. They are our future egg providers as well as pets to our 9 year old daughter. We have found that they LOVE egg yolks and cooked rice. Is it ok for them to eat that on a daily basis? They look forward to something every morning when she lets them out into the run. They are currently eating Renew Poultry Non-GMO corn free, Coconut oil and Flax. We would like to keep them on the best foods possible to give us those golden eggs!!! Thanks in advance for any help.View attachment 2183128
Try oats, mealworms, and STRAWBERRYS! My chickens love oats but be careful because it gave her a sour crop... also scrambled eggs! I acually have a question, are they in the coop already?????

Do you have a friend or neighbor who has horses? If so, maybe you could get some hay or straw to toss in the run for your chickens to scratch around in. Just be sure it is not moldy. They would have lots of fun with it, get plenty of exercise, and find little seeds and leaves to peck at!

Try oats, mealworms, and STRAWBERRYS! My chickens love oats but be careful because it gave her a sour crop... also scrambled eggs! I acually have a question, are they in the coop already?????
Yes, they are in their coop and our weather wasn’t real cooperative. We had to bring them back into the house a few nights because it was pretty cold and we were worried they would become sick. These chicks are a very important part of our little girls life. She has focused on being the best chicken mom since school was closed and she was home around the clock! They are using the perches 75 percent of the time or at least when we check in the windows in the evenings❤️

I like whole wheat berries and millet as scratch for young chicks. I offer it starting at 10 days but do use a high protein chick starter. My batch is 7 weeks old now and still get the wheat and millet and grower mash, along with some boiled eggs or bread and milk topped with soaked oats daily.

Back
Top Bottom