What are the chances........5 of 6 being roosters uggh

dawj

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Central NH
Last night i turned on the kitchen light to check on the girls
he.gif
to hear 2 of the SLW's crow or caw or a sound like that I was like ohh great..........BUT then to wake up to turn on the kitchen light to 5 yes FIVE of those bright read headed SLW's crowing!!! I was beginning to wonder if they were roosters since 1 had a pink comb and the other 5 had RED ones. After just a few weeks 1 of them were really jerks and the past few days 5 of them have been just plain butts. 1 of the roosters is pouncing on the buffs aweful. I called the place I got them and they are going to work something out.

Are you sure they were crowing or just making the noise they do when they are startled? Sometimes it sounds a lot alike.

I would help if you could take full body pictures of each of them where we can see their combs and feathering to give you an idea on their sex.

They have been doing it all day now that its dark in the kitchen they seem to have chilled out (The 5 that is) 2 of them are obnoxiously doing it. Just like a child you want them to talk and when they do they don't shut up lol....BUT I wanted children and grand children...I didn't want any roosters lol

Does it sound like a dogs squeaky toy being abused?? hehehehe my little OEGB just started crowing, it is THE funniest thing I have ever heard!
gig.gif

Last edited:
I had just posted about my own bad luck with roos. Two years ago wound up with 9 of 10. Last year 5 little guys. I have 11 chicks now. Im only certain that ONE, mayyyybe Two, are girls. DOH!

I hatched 2 "olive eggers" one I figured was for sure a roo, coz grew big wattles and started trying to crow. I moved it away from my pesky neighbors before they started complaining about the crowing (to where my main coop is on my in-law's property) and a few days later I looked out my window and noticed ROOSTER TAIL on the other one that I had thought was a pullet
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
no olive eggs for me.....this is my THIRD "olive egger" that turned out to be a cockerel
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom