1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the chances........5 of 6 being roosters uggh

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dawj, May 24, 2011.

1. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    Last night i turned on the kitchen light to check on the girls [​IMG] to hear 2 of the SLW's crow or caw or a sound like that I was like ohh great..........BUT then to wake up to turn on the kitchen light to 5 yes FIVE of those bright read headed SLW's crowing!!! I was beginning to wonder if they were roosters since 1 had a pink comb and the other 5 had RED ones. After just a few weeks 1 of them were really jerks and the past few days 5 of them have been just plain butts. 1 of the roosters is pouncing on the buffs aweful. I called the place I got them and they are going to work something out.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Are you sure they were crowing or just making the noise they do when they are startled? Sometimes it sounds a lot alike.

I would help if you could take full body pictures of each of them where we can see their combs and feathering to give you an idea on their sex.

3. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    They have been doing it all day now that its dark in the kitchen they seem to have chilled out (The 5 that is) 2 of them are obnoxiously doing it. Just like a child you want them to talk and when they do they don't shut up lol....BUT I wanted children and grand children...I didn't want any roosters lol

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I hear ya, I hatched 23 chicks and 15 of them are boys.

5. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Yeah, I bought 6 SLWs 10 weeks ago and 4 of them are roosters. If they have deep red combs they are males.

6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Rooster math hit us, too. Of my original 11, I'm pretty certain 9 are roos, so of course I had to go buy ten pullets to improve the ratio.

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Does it sound like a dogs squeaky toy being abused?? hehehehe my little OEGB just started crowing, it is THE funniest thing I have ever heard! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    I had just posted about my own bad luck with roos. Two years ago wound up with 9 of 10. Last year 5 little guys. I have 11 chicks now. Im only certain that ONE, mayyyybe Two, are girls. DOH!

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I hatched 2 "olive eggers" one I figured was for sure a roo, coz grew big wattles and started trying to crow. I moved it away from my pesky neighbors before they started complaining about the crowing (to where my main coop is on my in-law's property) and a few days later I looked out my window and noticed ROOSTER TAIL on the other one that I had thought was a pullet [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] no olive eggs for me.....this is my THIRD "olive egger" that turned out to be a cockerel [​IMG]

10. Hate it when that happens!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by