What are the cons to "forcing" your chickens to lay through out the winter or "all year"?

TheFF

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 29, 2013
California
All though it is summer time and my hens are laying fine, I've been wondering about the best way to deal with the lack of eggs in the winter. This last winter about half way through we put a light on in the coop and our girls started laying again. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any drawbacks to causing the chickens to laying all year. It seems to me that if they were created to take a break in the winter there must be a good reason.

Thanks

yes I agree.by forcing them to lay all year in my opinion its rougher on their bodies. not giving them their natural break you can run a higher risk of reproductive problems like prolapse for one.prolapsing is when the tissue protrudes or prolapses from the vent area. if they don't take a break this risk becomes higher. this is only my opinion but it makes since because they are in a constant state of laying. so yes I do agree its defiantly harder on their bodies. hope this helps. I know this is a common practice and many do force the lay through out the year however I would think a rest might be better and more natural for them. hope this helps and best wishes.

I agree. I am not 100% sure of all the details but I believe it comes down to production or longevity. A hen only has a set number of eggs in her body so if she lays more frequently all year she will lay for a less long period of time. Same number in the end but how it's spaced. If production is your biggest concern then it's the best way to go. If getting your hen as long as possible is your main concern (pet, breeding, etc) then taking a break is less stressful on her body and she will continue to lay a little longer.

Last edited:
yes I agree.by forcing them to lay all year in my opinion its rougher on their bodies. not giving them their natural break you can run a higher risk of reproductive problems like prolapse for one.prolapsing is when the tissue protrudes or prolapses from the vent area. if they don't take a break this risk becomes higher. this is only my opinion but it makes since because they are in a constant state of laying. so yes I do agree its defiantly harder on their bodies. hope this helps. I know this is a common practice and many do force the lay through out the year however I would think a rest might be better and more natural for them. hope this helps and best wishes.
I have had chickens for 20 years & have always used a light in the coop in winter. My hens have ALWAYS molted and taken a break in the fall anyway, but of course they don't all molt at the same time, so the light serves for the ones that are laying. Chickens will molt whether they have a light or not & mine never kept laying in molt. They got their rest and then started again. Every animal is born with "all the eggs" it will ever have including humans, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will run out. I had a pet chicken that laid a few a week until she was 9 years old & had a light every winter. Lighting is up to the individual, but chickens are just fine either way.

Last winter I decided to forego the extra light during winter, and surprisingly, the girls all started laying again after finishing molt as they did the previous winter with extra light. In other words, it made no difference that I didn't "force" them to lay with extra light. They began laying in January same as the previous year, and have laid well all winter long, in spite of the shorter day light.

I don't add a light in the winter, and mine continue to lay. Fewer than in the summer, but they do continue. They stop when they molt, but then start right back up, even in the dead of winter.

Be careful when people give anecdotes about a winter break being better for them. I haven't seen any research to indicate that this is true. There is nothing "natural" about the laying habits of most of our chickens as they have been bred to lay an egg a day. Chickens closer to the equator get 12 hours of light all day every day and they seem to do fine.

Back
Top Bottom