What are the "hot" foods?

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I've read some posts referring to good "hot" foods that will keep chickens warm.
I'm guessing we're not describing the temp of the food itself...what foods fit the bill?

Well, it can be warm. Mine get 4 cups of very warm sloppy wet oatmeat mixed with a few cups the feed dust that ends up at the bottom of the feed bag.
They love the warm breakfast and finish it off before turning returning to dry food pellets. I think the warmth is nice for them when it is -20C outside.

I am supplementing a fair bit of cracked corn as well. I think they can burn up the calories in the corn and they still eat enough layer feed to get the protein they need.
Egg production remains good.

Any food in excess of their nutritional needs is "hot." All it means is extra calories consumed they're going to burn staying warm. Whole corn is cheap so a half handful per bird per day in addition to their usual layer feed or whatever will get the job done.

BOSS / Warm Oatmeal/ Corn / Meat /

Anyting your heart desires!

On cold winter mornings mine love it when I give them a big bowl of WARM Oatmeal (Mine dont like it runny and they have to have their raisins in it(California seedless) OK so their a little spoiled) If we have goose at Christmas they will get the carcass or turkey carcass and OH yea Scrambled EGGS with turkey sausage and spinach (They are like their daddy and OH Yea) Keifer and Kumbucha!!

Ernie

Oatmeal like others have mentioned, and tomorrow I am going to give them a package of ramen noodles.

Peppers, pepper seeds especially, cayenne pepper. They are a tremendous aid to blood circulation. Try making some oatmeal with whole milk and half'n'half, then mix in some cayenne pepper
smile.png

Last edited:
I've made corn bread for my girls, but add some cayene pepper and I chopped a jalapeneo pepper into the mix.

mine get cyanne powder mixed into their crumbles. I read on here that it deters intestinal buggies and makes them a little warmer in winter. some will say that it aids in egg production but mine haven't started laying yet so i have no idea from personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom