Asprin Added to Water in Hot Weather?

Aspirin is a blood thinner, and there's a risk of bleeding, small, but it exists. I would prefer to use good old safe electrolytes in water. It would provide a safer defense against heat stress.

But to get the dosage right, you would need to calculate the total weight of your flock and then estimate how much water they drink in a day, then add 500mg of aspirin per each kilogram of body weight of your flock. If you're math averse, it's better to just use electrolytes on very hot days.

If you are terrible at math, do not try this at home.

Aspirin is a blood thinner, and there's a risk of bleeding, small, but it exists. I would prefer to use good old safe electrolytes in water. It would provide a safer defense against heat stress.

But to get the dosage right, you would need to calculate the total weight of your flock and then estimate how much water they drink in a day, then add 500mg of aspirin per each kilogram of body weight of your flock. If you're math averse, it's better to just use electrolytes on very hot days.

If you are terrible at math, do not try this at home.
Considering chickens will bleed when they lay ex large eggs it might not be a good idea for layers even if the dose is right. Theres also the possibility of one being injured while having aspirin in their system which would make it lose more blood.

Same. But natural and organic Aspirin come from a tree. Baking Soda is mined. It's a mineral.
Mine eat plenty of willow..However, willow species contain only a low quantity of salicin which is metabolized during absorption into various salicylate derivatives. If calculated as salicylic acid, the daily salicin dose is insufficient to produce analgesia. Salicylic acid concentrations following an analgesic dose of aspirin are an order of magnitude higher. Flavonoids and polyphenols contribute to the potent willow bark analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. The multi-component active principle of willow bark provides a broader mechanism of action than aspirin and is devoid of serious adverse events. In contrast to synthetic aspirin, willow bark does not damage the gastrointestinal mucosa. Research suggests that an extract dose with 240 mg salicin had no major impact on blood clotting. It rarely gets over 70F here, so I have no anecdotal information to give on heat stress.

Mine eat plenty of willow..However, willow species contain only a low quantity of salicin which is metabolized during absorption into various salicylate derivatives. If calculated as salicylic acid, the daily salicin dose is insufficient to produce analgesia. Salicylic acid concentrations following an analgesic dose of aspirin are an order of magnitude higher. Flavonoids and polyphenols contribute to the potent willow bark analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. The multi-component active principle of willow bark provides a broader mechanism of action than aspirin and is devoid of serious adverse events. In contrast to synthetic aspirin, willow bark does not damage the gastrointestinal mucosa. Research suggests that an extract dose with 240 mg salicin had no major impact on blood clotting. It rarely gets over 70F here, so I have no anecdotal information to give on heat stress.
I found something regarding willow - If anyone is interested in reading: Heat Stress in Broiler Chickens and the Effect of Dietary Polyphenols, with Special Reference to Willow (Salix spp.) Bark Supplements—A Review
Quote from conclusions
"7. Conclusions
Heat is a real challenge in the poultry sector as it is inducing oxidative stress, associated with cellular oxidative damage and the inflammatory response. Many bioactive compounds with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial activity, such as polyphenols and salicin, have been identified in Salix spp. extracts. Some studies have reported that the inclusion in the diet of heat-stressed broilers of supplements represented by extracts and powders obtained from the bark of Salix spp. has led to a reduction in the level of oxidative stress biomarkers, a decrease in pathogenic bacteria; and an increase in the number of lactobacilli in the caecum, of the final body weight, the average daily gain, and the average daily feed intake, as well as a decrease of the panting rate."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8146860/

Last edited:
I live in the desert, would stick to electrolytes in water every few days and mud puddles. 100* really isn’t that bad and the mud puddles/electrolytes should be enough if they have some dense shade as well. I don’t bring out the ice until it’s at least 105 consistently with warm temps overnight.

Back
Top Bottom