Asprin Added to Water in Hot Weather?

This week has been horribly hot in Kansas - 105 - 107. I'm a newbie with 9 week old chicks. I've been happy with giving them fresh electrolyte water every day and making them mud puddles with cold water (which of course warms up quickly). Seems to be doing the trick. They are still hot in the afternoon but not health threatening hot. I tried giving them a cold cucumber treat but it seemed to cause diarrhea so I stopped that. Maybe they're too young yet for cucumber? Just my two cents!

Cucumber is mostly water. When it's hot chickens are also drinking lots of water. When taken together, all that liquid results in watery poop. Diarrhea is another thing all together.

We have been having very high temps since June (in the triple digits) with very few days in the 90s. I give poultry electrolytes to my flock every day, however they also have waterers with just plain water and their clay trays where they step in to cool a bit have plain water too, they also drink from them. I have been giving them frozen berries, peas and corn in the late afternoons. I do not like to give them these high carb treats but I really think they need as much relief from this horrendous heat. I started giving them cold fermented feed in the mornings to help their immune system. So far they have been doing fine. They started to molt weeks ago and have stopped laying eggs with the shorter days. My concern is the 16 week old chicks that have been under this heat way too long and it seems like they will continue to be for another month or so. I really don't know what effects the heat will have on their development.

It sounds like internet logic based on theory rather than evidence. Salicylic acid has an antipyretic effect on chickens.
Which would be a similar logic to a human taking a paracetamol to cope with a hot day better. I'm not sure it works that way.
I don't actually know per se, I'm not a doctor or vet. But I know working in heat..... and ive never heard the one that goes; take a paracetamol for a hot day.... its better than electrolytes, or lots of water, or go for a swim, or eat an ice block. Very pleased to be proven wrong however. I've a feeling I'm guessing just as much as the person who came up with the idea now..... :p

I'd have thought it would be more useful to provide avian electrolytes if you really wanted to administer something. They are readily available.

There is a heap of threads on here regarding tips to cope with heat well over 100f. My favourites are: misting system, shallow puddle/dish of water in the shade to stand in, wetting the ground under heavy shade and breeze, frozen foods.

Some people use baking soda as a source of sodium in home made electrolytes....... Sodium bicarbonate. So my guess is the 'chemical' is Na+

I'm also guessing the fluid build up is lactic acid or some sort of lactic acid build up effect. Which Na+ would indeed benefit.

The primary electrolytes consist of: potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium. In the right form and proportions.

I have even used a little Pedialyte or Gator Ade. Might want to check on the balance, but it is electrolytles and a chicken friend told me he used Gator Ade in small amounts mixed in with the water. Also you can add some ice to help them cool.

Back
Top Bottom