Asprin Added to Water in Hot Weather?

CountryChic63

Songster
5 Years
Aug 16, 2018
Hello, I've read that its good to add Asprin to chickens water when its hot out.
Well, here in Indiana, the temps are going from a comfortable 72° last week to 100° this week.
Does Asprin help? If so, how?
Thanks!

Hello, I've read that its good to add Asprin to chickens water when its hot out.
Well, here in Indiana, the temps are going from a comfortable 72° last week to 100° this week.
Does Asprin help? If so, how?
Thanks!
I don't know about Aspirin, we add baking soda.

When chickens get hot, they pant and it depletes a specific chemical. It causes their lungs to build up fluid and they die.

Baking soda replenishes the chemical.

It sounds like internet logic based on theory rather than evidence. Salicylic acid has an antipyretic effect on chickens.
Which would be a similar logic to a human taking a paracetamol to cope with a hot day better. I'm not sure it works that way.
I don't actually know per se, I'm not a doctor or vet. But I know working in heat..... and ive never heard the one that goes; take a paracetamol for a hot day.... its better than electrolytes, or lots of water, or go for a swim, or eat an ice block. Very pleased to be proven wrong however. I've a feeling I'm guessing just as much as the person who came up with the idea now..... :p

I'd have thought it would be more useful to provide avian electrolytes if you really wanted to administer something. They are readily available.

There is a heap of threads on here regarding tips to cope with heat well over 100f. My favourites are: misting system, shallow puddle/dish of water in the shade to stand in, wetting the ground under heavy shade and breeze, frozen foods.

Some people use baking soda as a source of sodium in home made electrolytes....... Sodium bicarbonate. So my guess is the 'chemical' is Na+

I'm also guessing the fluid build up is lactic acid or some sort of lactic acid build up effect. Which Na+ would indeed benefit.

The primary electrolytes consist of: potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium. In the right form and proportions.

Last edited:
Interesting. I had never heard of using aspirin to counter heat stress in poultry, but it turns out it is a thing. Here is one of those esoteric scientific papers describing a study done on broiler chickens under hot weather conditions, feeding them aspirin at 500mg per kg of body weight. It appears the Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) helps regulate the body thermostat and reverses the effect of stress hormones caused by heat stress. It's not meant to treat heat stroke, though, just make chickens more efficient and comfortable during very hot weather.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...hnical_molecular_and_physio-biochemical_tools

Interesting. I had never heard of using aspirin to counter heat stress in poultry, but it turns out it is a thing. Here is one of those esoteric scientific papers describing a study done on broiler chickens under hot weather conditions, feeding them aspirin at 500mg per kg of body weight. It appears the Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) helps regulate the body thermostat and reverses the effect of stress hormones caused by heat stress. It's not meant to treat heat stroke, though, just make chickens more efficient and comfortable during very hot weather.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...hnical_molecular_and_physio-biochemical_tools

Cool! How great that you found this!

We've been having an awful, record heat wave this summer. I'd like to try the aspirin. OP says it's given in water? How would you go about dosing in a gallon?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-21 3.05.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 3.05.10 PM.png
    159 KB · Views: 37

Back
Top Bottom