What are the most fun and friendly breed of chickens as pets?

Silkies are probably the best if you want super cuddly pets. They are however, totally dysfunctional on free range , they will stand around in the rain, they are prone to heat stroke, and they are always the first ones to get eaten by hawks. So, keep them sheltered!!! D'Uccles have been quite tame for us, and are a lot more hardy than silkies, but still not fast enough to escape from hawks. Our Cubalaya hens are extremely tame, and good , tough, all around chickens. Never lost any adults to hawks. Very friendly, but functional on range.

Quote:
I have to agree w/ Cynthia. My one and only Delaware, Lucy is such a sweet snuggle girl. She is one of the smartest and most entertaining of the flock. My true Ameraucanas will crawl in my lap and one will tug on my pant's leg and beg to be picked up until I give in and pick her up. I think most my EE girls are pretty sweet also, but I do have a handful of skittish ones as well. All 3 have been good eggs layers for me.

I would think Silkies would make a fine chicken pet, but I don't own any. They looks so cute, fluffy and huggable.

Back
Top Bottom