1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What are the odds??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Critter Crazy, May 22, 2007.

1. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Songster

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I have 17 eggs in the incubator, on day 9. I have 10 chicks that will be delivered around the 13th of June. I have 14, 8 week old in the coop.

Today I realized I have a broody hen! One of my delawares has been sitting for 2 days. I dont have high hopes, as this is a first for her, but knowing my luck, since I have all these babies on the way, she will hatch chicks!

For some reason I knew this would happen![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Songster

Murphy's Law!!!!!

Maybe you should take advantage of her broodiness and put eggs under her - what's a few more???!!!

How many new pens are you going to have to build?? Ha!

Lori

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    [​IMG] I only laugh with you, necause I had the SAME thing happen. I got anxious....put eggs in the bator....then ordered....then right about hatching day....3 hens went broody. [​IMG] Anyone need Banty Cochin Frizzles??? LOL [​IMG]

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Songster

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:She has quite a few eggs under her already, tonight I will be moving her so she will be away from the other girls, so I will be able to get a count then.

nope, no pens needed. My babies all free range. [​IMG]

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Songster

Mine free range during the day, but I pen them up at night because we have lots of predators. What do yours do at night?

Lori

6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Songster

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Oh mine go in the coop at night, I thought you meant fenced pens![​IMG] Oops! He he he he!

If I end up keeping all the birds, i have an empty 40x60 barn, that I can turn one of the horse stalls into a coop. so no worries there.

7. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Songster

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Broody hen is on day ten, and still sitting tight!! woohoo!! I wasnt able to move her to her own area till today, last time I tried she about tried to kill herself trying to get back to the nest box. But today she took the move well. She is sitting on 12 eggs. I cannot help but be excited!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: