What are the options here?

If you are going to start from scratch, why can’t you incorporate a coop as part of the structure? Build a shed type with a gabled roof, this can provide some if the the structure for the run roof. This can also provide a point of division if you keep any separate flocks, if that was needed. With a 25x25 run, I’m guessing a larger number of chickens?

Yes, the structure needed will require quite a bit of wood. We have an elevated coop behind a barn, so protected generally from the worst winds. The coop has a shingled/wood frame roof. Now we are building the structure for the metal and clear panels, but our run is only 10x50, so the 10’ depth is easier to roof over. We are using the coop structure to assist with the roof stability, but also have the main posts cemented in the ground. It is taking awhile and is not yet finished.
Good luck.

If you are going to start from scratch, why can’t you incorporate a coop as part of the structure? Build a shed type with a gabled roof, this can provide some if the the structure for the run roof. This can also provide a point of division if you keep any separate flocks, if that was needed. With a 25x25 run, I’m guessing a larger number of chickens?

Yes, the structure needed will require quite a bit of wood. We have an elevated coop behind a barn, so protected generally from the worst winds. The coop has a shingled/wood frame roof. Now we are building the structure for the metal and clear panels, but our run is only 10x50, so the 10’ depth is easier to roof over. We are using the coop structure to assist with the roof stability, but also have the main posts cemented in the ground. It is taking awhile and is not yet finished.
Good luck.

My plan is to build a coop and attach it. I'm not sure I can pull off connecting them with the whole roof thing. The run is that big but divided in half between the ducks and chickens. I plan in keeping the duck house in the pen like it is and extended it out a couple feet(fencing off an area where I can grow grass and they can have greens for more then5 minutes. I'm also considering putting another small door for the ducks facing the side yard where I have a net covering the area for them to free range.

The ideas are coming faster then I can write them,

You will have to bury and concrete some treated 4x4s. If you use 4 per side in 8 foot increments you would have support for your roof and walls and could use 8 ft panels. I would definitely pitch the roof.

Is there any way to not use concrete? I really do not want to at all. That would be why I would do smaller walls. I was thinking the base would be treated 2x4s and then 2x4s every 2-4 feet with one or two pieces connecting those 2x4s for added support. So for an 8 ft section I would have 2-4 smaller walls attached.

Is there any way to not use concrete? I really do not want to at all. That would be why I would do smaller walls. I was thinking the base would be treated 2x4s and then 2x4s every 2-4 feet with one or two pieces connecting those 2x4s for added support. So for an 8 ft section I would have 2-4 smaller walls attached.

If that is the case, you need to stabilize the structure differently, since you are not using concrete. Do you just not want to make it that permanent? With concrete patches here and there? How would you anchor this to the ground?

If that is the case, you need to stabilize the structure differently, since you are not using concrete. Do you just not want to make it that permanent? With concrete patches here and there? How would you anchor this to the ground?

I didn't use concrete with the one I have now and it is solid, does not move at all. I would love to leave it and then add the roof, but I don't see how.

I didn't use concrete with the one I have now and it is solid, does not move at all. I would love to leave it and then add the roof, but I don't see how.

If your roof is for shade, would just using shade cloth work? Or are you looking for better protection (sun, rain, snow)? If you put a solid roof on (traditional, metal or clear fiberglass) you will need more structure than what you have.

If your roof is for shade, would just using shade cloth work? Or are you looking for better protection (sun, rain, snow)? If you put a solid roof on (traditional, metal or clear fiberglass) you will need more structure than what you have.

The snow. Never know when or how much we will get. We could go the whole season without it or get hit hard. They did ok in the summer with the heat and even the rain. If I'm doing a roof I want them to have options.

The snow. Never know when or how much we will get. We could go the whole season without it or get hit hard. They did ok in the summer with the heat and even the rain. If I'm doing a roof I want them to have options.
l

Maybe some of those carport kits? Metal frame and metal roof, I think they sit on the ground, maybe with some anchors in the ground. But there’s a cost for those. You can get free wood, but your own labor will take time.

Also a BYC poster from FL has posted pics of their multi run/multi coop operation. For shade and predator control I recall seeing these little shelters within the runs. Maybe 3 feet high, metal roof,open sides. Might be low cost/quick solution.

Back
Top Bottom